586,055 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy VF-2 overcurrent on Y axis

Hi All
    I new here but not to machines. Have a good one that even has HAAS stumped . Here we go; Had a video problem with my VF-0 swap video board out of my VF-2 and sure enough video worked, problem solved, yeah right. Put everything back in VF-2, well the backup battery connector fell off the main processor board and lost all of its parameters. Had no backup, so Haas sent me there file for my machine. Put in all parameter, double checked about a dozen times, compared them to my VF-0. During this process noticed my BUS voltage was hovering around 145V, supposed to around 170V, replaced the power supply, now 170, still getting "error 162 y axis drive overcurrent ". Replaced Y axis motor, still same problem. Ways look good, leads feel good, no binding, swap X & Y drive boards, still same problem. HELP!!!!!!!! ready to push this machine off the dock. Am I missing something that the factory did on original install, parameter fudging?

Thanks
    Chip

I suppose you unplugged everything to get the video board out? Could be that disturbing the connectors has resulted in a bad connection. The error messages can be misleading (I have found) and can lead on a wild goose chase.

Carefully inspect every plug that you pulled, and check that the wires are tight in every lead lug in the plug.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

http://www.haascnc.com/manual/getfile.asp?file_id=99

See if this info gives you some help..

Good Luck,
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Thanks! Yeah tried to put the processor to the side and knocked the battery backup cable, OOPS.
    Thanks Jarwalcot for the manual, if you have any other info on this machine would appreciate, have a programming manual, but nothing else, know it costs but have to ask. Starting to trace wire now, see where it takes me. Ohm away!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!

Chip

We had the same alarm on our VF-5, it turned out to be our ballscrew assembly.
    Probably not your problem, but I though I'd throw it out there.
    Good luck getting your machine back up.