587,047 active members*
2,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas ethernet setup?

Hey, A friend recommened this site for my question on a HAAS VF-5 at my work. Im the NA (Network Administrator, read as: general tech guy). We are still using a floppy drive to load programs. I have found several cables left from the last IT guy using rs232 that were unsucessful. I would love to just toss this guy on our network (Cat 5e/Cat6 Gigabit), but none of the documentation has been kept. The ethernet adapter is installed and I can easily run a patch cable to it. But from there, I am lost.
    What do I do next? I am assuming there are settings in the maching for assigning it a IP adress that my workstation can see.
    What software do you recommend for this? We use master cam and soild works, but I am guessing there is another program to talk to the HAAS.

Thanks as always! :bat:

I use EasydncXP to transfer small programs and to drip feed large ones on my mill.

Being that you mentioned 232 cable I take the ethernet adapter you are talking about is external to the machine. If this is the case then you need some software to setup the adapter so it works as a virtual serial port. The cable that goes from the adapter to the machine does need to be a little special, it should show a diagram in the Haas manual for what the cable needs to be wired as if not search the forums here they have been posted before.

I have a moxa serial to ethernet adapter, the software that came with it allowed me to assign it an IP address and set it up so my workstation sees it as a virtual serial port. Once this is done and the right cable connected then just setup up the communication program to use this virtual port and use it just as if the computer was connected by serial cable sitting just a few feet away.

Of course if it is a haas ethernet card in the machine then none of this applies. As I do not have this option on my machine I am not sure exactly but I think you just plug your ethernet cable into the machine and then the manual for the haas should have something in about assigning a specific IP. If the manual is lost you can download some pieces from the haas website, otherwise I would reccomend getting a new manual the operator of the machine would probably like that too as from time to time it is nice to be able to look something up.

JP

This is the Haas Manual addendum for the Hard Drive/USB/Ethernet option.

http://www.haascnc.com/manual/getfile.asp?file_id=132

Quote Originally Posted by the spyder
    Hey, A friend recommened this site for my question on a HAAS VF-5 at my work. Im the NA (Network Administrator, read as: general tech guy). We are still using a floppy drive to load programs. I have found several cables left from the last IT guy using rs232 that were unsucessful. I would love to just toss this guy on our network (Cat 5e/Cat6 Gigabit), but none of the documentation has been kept. The ethernet adapter is installed and I can easily run a patch cable to it. But from there, I am lost.
    What do I do next? I am assuming there are settings in the maching for assigning it a IP adress that my workstation can see.
    What software do you recommend for this? We use master cam and soild works, but I am guessing there is another program to talk to the HAAS.

Thanks as always! :bat:
    Hi spyder, I'm on vacation now so I'll answer from memory

The Ethernet option is enabled on the controller, right? Then get in the Settings page, scroll down and you'll find the LAN settings (IIRC from setting 134 and on) which should make more sense to you than they did to me...

What we did is make a shared folder on a PC, on the Haas I can go to List Prog->Network (or something) and I can see the files in that folder. I copy them to the memory or hd and I'm good to go.

If you need a serial connection, I have a schematic for the cable which is better than the one in the manual but you'll have to wait for it...

Nikolas

The ethernet option is installed into the machine (ie there is a rj45 plug under the 2 serial ports).
    I would assume its enabled since it is installed?? Just not configuered? I will check monday and follow your instructions Nikolas. Thank you.

Apparently they want me to learn master cam, where should I start?

Oh and I hate the way oil pump, the current Master Cam programmer and myself tore the thing off today and rebuilt the drive motor. That was a fun experiance.

Mastercam Training

I learned Mastercam from the Local Technical College.

There are a few good books that you could use to teach yourself.

If you have a mastercam programmer working with/beside you, pick his/her brain for tips. Best way to learn it is to play with it, and ask questions.

Cheers.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

I would assume its enabled since it is installed??
    Yes, I believe so. In the pdf Geof posted you'll find all the info you need.
    Apparently they want me to learn master cam, where should I start?
    I haven't used mastercam but my advice is the same for every programm:

1. See if you can get them to pay a course for you
    2. If someone in the company uses it, pick his brain
    3. Get the manuals (both the machine and mastercam's) and experiment. Try whatever you want on the PC but be very carefull on the machine!!!

Do you have any machining and manual g-coding background?