586,119 active members*
3,587 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Spindle Speed for tapping 1/4-20 holes.
Page 1 of 2 12

Spindle Speed for tapping 1/4-20 holes.

Hi all,

I've got a Haas VF-1 with Rigid Tapping and I'm trying to tap some 1/4-20 holes. I have no idea what to use as a spindle speed. I guessed and chose 400 rpm, which gives me a feed of 20. I just broke the second one after a few holes. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm just spraying flood coolant during the tapping cycle. Should I manually be squirting rapid tap or something on the tap.

(I'm tapping them .55" deep)

Thanks!

what material are you tapping? What type of tap are you using? is this a thru hole or blind? If it's blind try roll form

It is 6061-T6, it's a spiral flute. It's a thru hole.

Thanks!

You did not mention a lot of important factors to consider, so presuming aluminum 400rpm should not be a problem. I am a chicken when it comes to tapping, at least compared to post I have read, I use 200-250rpm for most everything I tap, but then I am not involved in production considerations, if it is deep I use rigid peck tapping and always take time to use tap-magic and blow out the chips between pecks.

I had a lot of problems using flood coolant and spiral taps, but did use a lot higher RPM then.

Yes it takes me a bit longer now but......No broken taps since.

EDIT, as Lakeside mentioned, form taps in aluminum are a real winner.
    They take a different clearance hole so watch that.

are you using a spot drill to put a chamfer lead in and are you use a two flute tap. I still like roll form

I'm not putting a chamfer lead in. Just spot drill it, then peck drill the hole.

It's a 3 flute tap.

I'm not worried about the speed, it's faster getting a nice tapped hole instead of breaking them.

I could switch to roll form. I'll need to figure out what clearance holes for em.

Thanks!

Loading,
    If you end up trying form taps, here is a little tip, when spot drilling for the clearance drill go a little deep because the form tap will have rolled up a little mound at the hole entrance after tapping from the metal displacement.

here some data on 1/4-20 roll form

Check machinery's handbook for tap drill sizes for form taps. I highly recomend form taps or spiral point two flute tap for thru hole in aluminum. Alot of the other guys on here have great success with tapping around the speeds you said you tried, personally I tap 1/4-20 thru aluminum at 2500rpm and I haven't broke one yet. I've got around 110 holes on one form tap and it still looks as good as the day I bought it. I usually just have the flood coolant on but around every 20 holes or so I will coat the tap with a dry graphite film spray, I don't know that it does much after the first 1 or 2 holes but it can't hurt.

With form taps though just be sure you have the right size or a hair bigger hole drilled for the tap as a hair under will cause problems, I already coated one 5/16-18 tap with aluminum- not pretty. Also with form taps use a 90 deg spot drill and run it down far enough so that the tapped hole will be chamfered when all said and done, as the form tap displaces material, with no chf on top they will quite often roll material up above the top of the hole.

JP

Lakeside, where did you get the neat chart program

JP

Tap drill 13/64", spiral point or spiral flute for through hole, 1000 rpm, 50.0ipm flood coolant. You should be able to do hundreds of holes with a single tap.

JP,
    Since Mike is off wandering around other post.....

MEPro

It is the best $100 I ever spent.

http://www.cncci.com/products/cncmepro.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Loading
    I'll need to figure out what clearance holes for em.Thanks!
    are you using an endmill to size hole instead of drill This could be your issue?

Thanks Ken

JP

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea
    JP,
    Since Mike is off wandering around other post.....
    MEPro
    It is the best $100 I ever spent.
    http://www.cncci.com/products/cncmepro.htm
    Ken, I have to keep reminding my wife and boss. That it not me wandering around,it's the ADD side of me.
    ME PRO for $100 "Good Stuff" That about 5 good endmills

Nope, I am using a drill. Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered a couple more spiral flute (technicut didn't have any 2 flute spiral flute)

I also got 2 form roll and a 5.7 mil drill for em. I also ordered a couple 90 degree spot drills.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Loading
    (technicut didn't have any 2 flute spiral flute)
    I also got 2 form roll and a 5.7 mil drill for em. I also ordered a couple 90 degree spot drills.
    Thanks!
    If they could not supply a two flute tap,it would be the last time I called them.Also you may want to buy adleast three then if one breaks you still have a back-up here a link to msc for next time. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2SRHI?PMSECT=728

That it not me wandering around,it's the ADD side of me.

I'm up in Canada, so I don't have the largest selection of suppliers.

I've been going through technicut, and so far they've been pretty good, except for the no 2 flute 1/4-20 taps. They usually get stuff to me next day.

Thanks again for all the help.

Oh, what speed should I run these form taps at?

Try 1000 rpm? (That frightens me--a lot)

personally I tap 1/4-20 thru aluminum at 2500rpm

JP,
    At what max depth are you doing this?

Maybe at 1/4 depth I might have the nerve

Page 1 of 2 12