586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation 5 axis machine recommendations

We need help choosing the right five axis cnc machine for our shop. We cut mostly aluminum, plastic and tooling board.
    We currently have a 3 axis 60" X, 30" Y and 27" Z travel machine.
    Our shop has been getting more and more jobs that require 5 axis machining.
    We use Delcam PowerMill software.

We are not familiar with very many machine makes and models and are looking for recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

We need more information to help you.
    What size parts?
    What accuracy?
    What operations do you perform?
    What type of tooling cutting tools / holders?
    What configuration? (gantry/router, trunion, table-on-table, rotating head)
    Full 5-axis contouring or indexing?
    Tool changer?
    Type of control?
    Type CAD/CAM?
    Budget?
    What have you looked at that might suit your needs?

Parts can be up to 30"x22"x12", this would be the extreme and the norm would be more like 20”x16” x 6".
    Accuracy within .001" to .003" would be good. Not sure how realistic that is with a 5 axis?
    We are a corporate R&D shop making mostly prototype parts for our operating companies. We mostly machine aluminum and nylon parts and red board molds to pour prototype parts from.
    Our current machine has a 50 cat taper spindle. I understand this is probably not the norm for most 5 axis machines? I would guess most use 40 taper?
    Most of our tooling is uncoated carbide, which works well on the materials we run. We have a lot of extended holders for machining molds and parts. Since we don’t cut much steel or harder materials the extended holders work well. We do have some short holders as well. All are collet type holders.
    As far as configuration, that is where we are looking for advice, the machines I have seen used to do parts we send out have been Deckel Maho with a rotating table and head. The table moves in Z, the head moves in x and y and rotates. (sorry if that is not a good description, I can get more details if it would help).
    We would want a tool changer, 10+ tools minimum.
    I am not sure on the type of control either.
    We currently use Delcam PowerMill and PowerShape for CAM/CAD.
    As far as budget goes, working for a corporation allows us to look at higher end machines, keeping in mind that we have to justify any purchase.
    Again, the Deckel Maho machines at the shop that does our 5 axis work now are said to be good machines. I would just like to get opinions as this is no small purchase!
    Thanks for your help.

Well, DMG (deckel Maho Gildemister) is now sold and serviced through Mori Seiki USA, and there distributors. In the past service was HORRIBLE in the US for DMG equipment. While I believe some of the service will get better, most of the Mori engineers know nothing about the Seimens/Heidenhein controls yet. At this point in the game i would go with a straight Mori, unless the DMG machines come with the Fanuc/Mapps control.

NMV5000 DCG | X Class Turn Mill Machines | DMG Mori Seiki

This is a nice machine, and even has an option to use it as a vertical lathe if you need/want that.

That is nearly exactly what they shop owner with the DMG machines said about the service. He did say that they are dependable machines, its just that when you need service its (as you said) horrible.
    I will see about getting more information on the Mori Seiki.
    Do you have expericence with other brands that we might investigate?
    Thanks again

Okuma, Haas and Mikron. Mikron is another tough one for parts/service, but not bad. Haas being the lowest of all these.
    There are others, Matsuura, Kitamura, Makino, Mazak etc, but I have no first hand knowledge of those 5 axis machines. I just like the Mori, it's more advanced than the rest, and I used to service them. Plus they guarantee parts are in stock, and a 2 year Std warranty.

The never ending bottom line, make sure you have a good distributor in your area, with good service/application techs, and be able to get parts. It will break, at some point, and you will want questions answered when you run in to problems. This statement is true about any machine. The guy that says they never break is a flat out liar....