586,060 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ELOX with Fanuc Tape Cut Model H Control

Hi everyone!!!
    I have a old Elox wire EDM with a Fanuc Tape Cut model H control.
    Does anyone know how to square the wire. All I can get from the manual is to
    "Use wire squaring device" With no explanation of the device or procedure.
    I used to run a newer charmilles with a Fanuc control and there was a procedure for squaring the wire manuallly by sparking it against a know square surface. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dalen

Hi Dalen,

My machine is an Elox/Fanuc Wirecut O with Fanuc 6M control. Attached is the device I use. Hope it helps you.

Roger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alignment Device.JPG   Alignment device connection.JPG  

Dose your machine have u....v axis is it a 4 axis machine or a two.......The proces for a two is different....?

Elox

It has a UV axis

If you dont have the squaring fixture like in the pic. you have to manualy square the wire aganist something like a 1,2,3 block ......

Quote Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
    If you dont have the squaring fixture like in the pic. you have to manualy square the wire aganist something like a 1,2,3 block ......
    No offense, but I'm curious how you would determine which axis to adjust ie: X or U, Y or V. Maybe get it close, cut a bore, and then measure the taper?

I am always tempted to look inside the fixture to see how it works, but the replacement cost always scares me away.

Roger

No offence but the only ones you can move are u,v to get the wire straight...When I have had to do it manualy I would move say the x azis toward the part till the wire hits . Look at how the wire is tapered then move the u axis till the wire straightens . Use your edge find function in the x direction . Then look to see if wire looks straight if not move the u till you get it straight . Keep repeating this till the wire is straight. On the elox/ fanuc wire machines there is a parameter that can be changed to allow you to turn the generator on and spark the wire against the block edge. This can help , you move the axis in question either u or v till you get the sparks to run the length of the wire touching the part. .Be sure your on time is set to 0 or you will damage the part....I do not know what parameter it is for your machine, but it should be in your book....good luck

Quote Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
    No offence but the only ones you can move are u,v to get the wire straight...When I have had to do it manualy I would move say the x azis toward the part till the wire hits . Look at how the wire is tapered then move the u axis till the wire straightens . Use your edge find function in the x direction . Then look to see if wire looks straight if not move the u till you get it straight . Keep repeating this till the wire is straight. On the elox/ fanuc wire machines there is a parameter that can be changed to allow you to turn the generator on and spark the wire against the block edge. This can help , you move the axis in question either u or v till you get the sparks to run the length of the wire touching the part. .Be sure your on time is set to 0 or you will damage the part....I do not know what parameter it is for your machine, but it should be in your book....good luck
    No offense taken. The reason I asked is the pivot point is below the work plane, as you know, and when adjusting the U or V axis this would change the position of the wire down to the pivot point. That is the purpose of the led lights on the fixture. I have found it is a delicate procedure, even with the fixture, to get it aligned well. The final adjustments in the micron level. I would definitely be using your procedure if I didn't have the fixture though, making the final adjustments by cutting a bore and measuring the taper.

Roger