586,106 active members*
3,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Drill Bit Grinding Instructions

Hi,

I have the attached drill bit grinding attachment but no instructions. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing to share?

Thanks,
    Robert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drill_Guide.jpg  

Drill bit attachment

Found this on quick search.

The directions are written on the inside of the box lid, so they would be hard to photocopy.

Fortunately, they are brief. Here are the basic instructions, nearly verbatim:

The base is mounted at right angles to the wheel so that you can use the flat side face of the grinding wheel, not the edge.

The nose of the drill trough should be about in line with the center of the wheel, and about 1/2 to 1 inch from the rim of the wheel.

Fasten to the bench using a bolt and wing nut. The bolt should be located about 2 1/4 inches from the flat face of the wheel. The slotted base if for fore and aft adjustment.

Operation:

1. Set pointer to desired angle on quadrant (59 degrees for general use).
    2. Place drill in trough and extend cutting edge of drill about 1/16 inch beyond lip rest (that is the piece of metal at the end of the trough with a pointed tip and a slot with two screws).
    3. Adjust lip rest up or down until it extends slightly above the cutting edge of the drill flute.Hold drill down with fnger pressure on spring clampand rotate drill counter clockwise against vertical edge of lip rest. Then, with the drill firmly back against the feed screw, tighten the drill clamp.
    4. In grinding, swing tool back and forth on pivot. If too tight, loosen one screw on name place. Advance drill gradually by feed screw continuing to swing back and forth. A 1/8 turn of the feed screw will grind about 0.006 inches.
    5. Check grind visually with drill in attachment. Compare to a good drill. When satisfied with first face, do not remove drill or change adjustment.
    6. To grind second lip, loosen clamp and rotate drill 1/2 turn until opposite cutting edge touches lip rest. Tighten clamp.
    7. Do not change any adjustments when grinding second face. Grind in short sweeps until drill passes through the swing.

"As with any fine tool, more proficiency will be acquired with practice."

I have a deckel and also do quick sharpening on the grinder by hand so can not say how good the unit will work, but if the angle were set right and the grinding wheel dress and correct grit, it should work.

Thanks John.....

This guide came in a box of stuff that was along with a lathe I picked up months back. I forgot all about it until cleaning out some stuff this weekend. Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try as there is a pile of junk Chinese bits to practice on.

Robert