586,307 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > micro milling in aluminium (try processing)
    Hello CNC guys
    Who has experience in the try milling process with micro millers until 0,5mn?

I have to mill a case who’s top cover has been welded. As the electronic is on the “inside”, I HAVE to dry cut it.
    Also I don’t want to mill the top right until the case to avoid chips falling into the casing.

I am thinking a 2 Schneider blank....
    <!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->Der Vorteil der Klugheit besteht darin, daß man sich dumm stellen kann.<br />Das Gegenteil ist schon schwieriger.<br />Kurt Tucholsky <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><br /><br />GRUß<br /><br />HOLZSCHNELLER CHRISTIAN<br /><br />Mori Seiki <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->NV5000 α1B/40<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> // <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->NMV5000<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->// hyperMILL// HSMWorks // Fanuc 31iA5

And sorry I forgot to mention that I can only offer air from the outside! biggrin.gif
    <!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->Der Vorteil der Klugheit besteht darin, daß man sich dumm stellen kann.<br />Das Gegenteil ist schon schwieriger.<br />Kurt Tucholsky <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><br /><br />GRUß<br /><br />HOLZSCHNELLER CHRISTIAN<br /><br />Mori Seiki <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->NV5000 α1B/40<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> // <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->NMV5000<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->// hyperMILL// HSMWorks // Fanuc 31iA5

Hello
    I would use one for aluminium and cut with polishing and impinge with air-
    that should work!
    gruß Klaus

Would you deliver in1*D or somewhere else in the hundredths area?
    My problem is that if the miller rips and damages the cases, then maybe a defect might occur in the lower 6 digits area..

So that’s why the whole thing HAS to be save!

Do you have to mill right on top of the welded joint?
    gruß Klaus

Do you have to mill right on top of the welded joint?
    es exactly!

The top is welded together with the case per laser. I only want to mill the welded joint and the open the rest as a kind of can.

I would try it 0,1 infeed. The problem is that the material won’t be even everywhere due to the welding. Your miller wont like that!
    gruß Klaus

Your miller wont like that!
    Ahh Hello? I did not want to hear that! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You won’t hear about the small cutters. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Why don’t you try it with a side milling cutters, how deep do you have to enter?
    gruß Klaus

I only have to enter to about 0,8mm... I can’t use a side milling cutter as there are still contactors that overlap the case so that I can’t mill to “zero”! Then it’s only a contour with inner and outer radii.

The 0,5 mm for the miller result from the space between lid and contactors on the side of the case- it’s kind of a “pocket”.