586,117 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

slip-ring, electric swivel / rotary joint

I am looking for a device that can transfer electric signals in a 360 degree rotation. 4 conductors. You commonly see it in the dollar-store for the phone adapters that stop a telephone cord from becomming spiral/corded onto itself - because it has disks inside with springs mounted to it to allow electrical flow while allowing rotation.

I need 4 conductors. Trying to build a small toy (it spins around, with lights that are controlled digitally - somewhat like a pan/tilt operation on a video- camera). The piece should cost just a few bucks.

Unfortunately, I cant seem to find anyplace that sells these - the ones I have found want to sell me something for hundreds of dollars that is some type of professional robotic grade.

If I managed to describe this well, I was wondering if anyone could advise or send me some links to try and check around, please thanks.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

Can't think of any inexpensive ones....why don't you make your own...

Use a soft 4lead cable and turn it 4-5 turns like a spring and you should have 360degrees, however if it turns continous in one direction it wont work for obvious reasons. this is how the cablepack for fifth and sixth axis on most ABB robots are set up and so far I have yet to replace one.

ITS A TOY. The children would like to spin it freely and unlimitedly.
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

An old trick used to be to use ball bearings, no idea of scale or the practicality of mounting and isolating four in your toy, or how you've cover them.\.

Yes I thought about it and it gets more complicated involving my time. I went to radio shack and found a 4-wire telephone "detangler" device. I believe it will do the job; however - looks kinda cheap and flimsy. As long as I can push 5-12volts thru this I'll be in good shape.

You can make it on a lathe from plain pcb. Turn 4 rings (or etch it if you like) on it. Make for the other side a pcb on which you can solder 4 phosphorbronze sliders at 90 degrees interval, they will be somewhere hanging around in a modeltrainshop as spare parts. Make an axle on one side, a bearing on the other side and you're almost there.
    Then give it to the kids and see how fast they brake it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStein99
    ITS A TOY. The children would like to spin it freely and unlimitedly.

Yeah, I understand, I would bet 2 or 3 4yearolds would Tear down an ABB S5 in less than a day, Hehe!

Well fkaCarol - that is definately some interesting information! Good idea to use that stuff for the transfer. I kinda figured about creating copper pcb rings, but never thought to poke around at model train shop for the bronze springs or bushings. There is a few hobby stores around the way I will check them out; I'm sure the guy at the counter I could pick his brain too probably.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStein99
    ...I went to radio shack and found a 4-wire telephone "detangler" device. I believe it will do the job; however - looks kinda cheap and flimsy. As long as I can push 5-12volts thru this I'll be in good shape.
    It is not the voltage, phone lines run higher than 12 volts, it is the current that is limiting. Chances are you will be fine because LED currents are in the same region or maybe lower than phone line currents.

Collector, Slip Ring: 35 Amp, 600 VAC,2, 3, 4 or 5 connector. McMasterCarr.
    From $367.07 to $483.00. Plus freight of course. Would make a real nice toy.
    Page 649 McMasterCarr Catalog # 106...
    Regards Walt.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Collector, Slip Ring: 35 Amp, 600 VAC,2, 3, 4 or 5 connector. McMasterCarr.
    From $367.07 to $483.00. Plus freight of course. Would make a real nice toy.
    Page 649 McMasterCarr Catalog # 106...
    Regards Walt.
    Walt are you trying to come up with an unassailable definition for overkill?

I have to admit, I purchased one of these (4 connector) two hot leads, one neuteral
    and one ground. Used it on a portable grinder I built for a special job in Virginia.
    If I told you what I worked on, then I would have to send special forces out and
    render you speachless. It had somethine to do with communications for someone
    real big. Uncle somebody. Nice place to work for a few weeks.
    But the slip ring connector worked real good for the 3 weeks plus the 4 weeks on
    the second instrument..
    Regards Walt.
    PS, the unit (rotary switch) weighs about two pounds, maybe the kids could play
    with just this unit.....

If I bought a slip ring for $367.07 it would make the toy cost about $387.07. For $300 and a page of text, I am very certain I can hire someone to custom fabricate to my specifications from scratch.