586,119 active members*
3,582 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Did I kill a bunch of drives?

Did I kill a bunch of drives?

So, when a stepper motor has no lights come on (neither red nor green) when provided with power, is it totally fried? Its possible I reversed polarity while supplying them with power. I know this can kill the drive, but is there any other reason the drive would not light up?

Re: Did I kill a bunch of drives?

fuse, short , power supply, wiring , switch , relay ... without testing there could be any number of things.

What kind of power supply(s) have a picture or a schematic of the wiring to show ?

Sure thing. I was boring a hole in piece of cast iron when the Z axis dropped - under power. It was odd so I shut down and checked out the wiring and made sure the brake/ stepper/ ribbon cable was all in place. It was. So I played with it a bit and jogged the axis to make sure everything was working as it should- figured it must have been an issue on the computer end. Every stepper driver went dark. Just suddenly the green lights went out.
    Checked the BUS to make sure everything was getting power, it was. Checked, rechecked, still checking. Every wire, every connection. Nothing. Not even a blown fuse.

Attachment 242574

Attachment 242576

The power is on in this photo. stuff is moved around from me trying to troubleshoot the issue. This is frustrating. Ive had this mill for almost a year, upgraded EVERYTHING to series 3 hardware and its failed every time ive tried to use it. Every single time. So much money.......

Sounds like a bad ground? Even a momentary disconnect of the ground wire can fry everything. No matter what you do with fuses.

If you are going to continue, I would strongly suggest using a kit driver (meaning you get a PCB and components and you solder the kit) instead of buying pre-built drivers. Why? Because if you fry the prebuilt driver, you have to replace the entire thing. With the kit driver, you can just replace the fried component. For example: The THB6064AH driver kit has about the same specs as the Leadshine. And the price is $35 (plus your time in soldring it together). But replacement chips only cost about $10. And since you built it, you know how to repare it.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

I wish my soldering skills were up to the task. Ive seen these PCBs and the components are tiny. I'll take a look at that kit though, as long as it drives 3 phase steppers it would be a viable option. Thanks