586,113 active members*
3,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Turning > right-hand thread M15x1 outside
    I had an interesting discussion with a sales representatives regarding thread cutting.
    I told him that I needed an external thread turning tool, left model and I would like to process external threads M15x1 in aluminium. The tool should be clamped into a VDI 30 mounting, form B1
    (no overhead conveyor)

He showed me a catalogue page that explained that the feed direction of thread cutting should go from the spindle in the direction of the tailstock.

I accepted it- but I don’t understand at all why!?

Can anybody explain it to me?

Unfortunately I can’t upload any picture as that would go against the rules.

Hello

First of all a question to you: is the turning steel possibly with a plate?
    If the answer is yes then I am able to explain your question..However I don’t know if the simple ones are curved in the same way...

An applications engineer explained me once that it has something to do with the declamping- that’s why the turning steel / blade seat is slightly turned in the direction of the tail stock.. so that means that you have to process the steel in the that direction as the chips can’t be conveyed otherwise.
    It doesn’t matter if you use a radial or axial turning steel.

Seems logical: straight steel in a thread that is cutted straight.... where does the chip go?

By the way it’s the same with bore rods in milling centre..or at least we did it in the same way

Best regards Stefan
    <b><u><!--fonto:Comic Sans MS--><span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Ich weis nicht alles, ich lerne viel, <br />aber leider wird einem selbst das <br />lernen heute erschwert<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--></u></b>

I don’t understand that either- cant follow both of them.

When the turning steel starts from the spindle towards tailstock, with each step with rapid traverse it would shoot the material!

Maybe I misunderstood but that can’t be real – i have cut thousands of threada but never as described...

Best regards CoolTool