586,075 active members*
4,093 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fighting with Fanuc setup...

Hi all,

I got an almost complete set of 18-MB, PSM, SVMs, SPMs and try to get it to work. To make it easier, I am a bloody beginner with Fanuc...
    But I bought a CD with documentation.

As a special challenge, the IO-board of the sub-panel is broken, so I stay with the MDI alone.

So a few questions came up while testing.
    - The reset-key seems not to do anything. I checked the panel and I can sense a keypress with the Ohm-meter so it seems electrically OK. Is there any key test routine implemented in the Fanuc controls ?

- I cannot get rid of an EMG-ALM error on the control. I used the SPM's emergency stop input (connected to 24V) but no change to the display. Will it really be transported through the optical bus if applied on the SPM and handled to the SVMs ? Might it be possible, that this alarm will notdisappear while I do not have the subpanel connected ?

- Is there a way to avois this sub-panel, for example by using a PC control program ?

- If I go into the System/SV-INF menue, there is no data displayed for servo motor, pulsecoder etc. Does the system grab this information automatically if everything is ok, or do I have to enter it (apart from the servo setup which I did...) ?

Anf finally: Does it make sense to try to get the system working without power electricity installed, or do I have to apply three phase power to get positive results ?

Thanks for reading all that rubbish and even more for any help.

Best regards
    Uli

It would seem you have set yourself quite the challenge, I have implemented older Fanuc systems but the 18's I believe were quite a departure from previous systems.
    Fanuc usually require all the options present and powered that are registered in the control.
    I assume the parameters are still intact etc?
    The registration of PB's etc usually can be seen on either a diagnostic page that displays individual I/O bits, or by display of Ladder diagram.
    In the past, the EMG into the PLC was one of the dedicated bits, and again this can usually be monitored by the above methods.
    If you want to modify the ladder you will need the PMC manuals which don't always come on the CD.
    Depending on the type of PMC fitted, the 15M/T and after the ladder could be edited on screen.
    I have never worked on a 18 so this is mostly conjecture.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.