586,068 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Linley Jig Bore

I bought this little guy about 4 years ago. I paid $200 for it. Vintage 1968 machine #4167 it was used for one job and sat in the corner.I had it behind my house and cover it in grease.Now it in the basement and the grease is gone. This machine is so clean it can still hold tenths. That I think I'm just going to keep it the way that it is.The motor is a 220 3 phase should I get a phase converter or a new motor? or should I do a conversion to sometype of cnc. What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linley 1.jpg   linley 2.jpg   linley 3.jpg   linley 4.jpg  

I think you should keep it in its original condition for nostalgic reasons. Machines of that nature and older are what formed the foundation for modern manufacturing. I often wish I could have kept some of the old machines I started my business with but a sixteen feet long turret lathe weighing 6 tons was a bit unwieldy to stick at the back of the garage.

Get a phase convertor.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    I think you should keep it in its original condition for nostalgic reasons. Machines of that nature and older are what formed the foundation for modern manufacturing.
    Get a phase convertor.
    That the way I leaning. This machine is like museum quality is there any real deference in phase converters

Beautiful Machine Mike

Very Very Very Nice Mike. What Geof said, keep it the way it is and get a Phase Converter. You don't see those beautiful machines anymore. What type of tool holders does she take? I may have someone you can talk to.

I can't get over how clean it is as I am droolling on the key board.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

In need the following collet
    Modified collets and nosepiece of the Mk. 1A. Based on the Schaublin ESX design, these collets were developed with the express intention of providing a superior grip on the shanks of cutting tools.
    An important part of the new assembly was a freely-floating compensating washer which fitted between the collet and nose cap; this was intended to eliminate possible inaccuracies between the locknut thread and its inner surface which clamped against the collet.-info from Tony at http://www.lathes.co.uk/linley/page3.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails collet linley.JPG   collet- 2.JPG   collet-3.JPG  

I would use an inverter(VFD)...then you can vary the spindle speed electronicly. Most VFDs I have ever seen can be run single phase with no problems and used ones are cheap on ebay.

edit: tell me what hp it is and I may have a VFD that would work for ya

Quote Originally Posted by 70cyclone
    I would use an inverter(VFD)...edit: tell me what hp it is and I may have a VFD that would work for ya
    interesting Idea so the VFD would replace the phase converter. I can't find a tag on motor but 1hp max,I would think tell me more....I did do a search and read baldor site for some info on VFD but I real know nothing about VFD

well a VFD(variable frequency drive) is what most comercial CNC machines use to control spindle speed.
    most can be run single phase with a reduction in max output. if you find a 5hp drive you can program its current limit to run a 1hp without damage to the motor

couple of ways to use them...
    1. just program it to always run 60hz and just have forward/stop/reverse hooked up. then it just runs at whatever the motor is wound for. (ie 1750rpm)

2. set it up with a pot and be able to vary the speed from 0 to whatever max out is for the drive(ie 240hz) this is nice because on drill presses and such you don't have to change the belt for different spindle speeds.

I prefer Yaskawa vector style drives for servos and VFDs and the build alot of other brands as well, like Omron, EMS, and others. I also like them because my Milltronics mill has them and I know the abuse they can take.

oh and you can get used 5hp or less VFDs on ebay for less than $100 really easy.

this style is what I always try to find and have great luck with...
    Yaskawa V7 drives

Thanks for the info I found this one new for $260 it just the basic http://www.deselectric.com/inverters. The Yaskawa v7 drive might be a bit over kill on this one

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    Thanks for the info I found this one new for $260 it just the basic http://www.deselectric.com/inverters. The Yaskawa v7 drive might be a bit over kill on this one
    not a bad deal...looks just like a yaskawa too...

take a look at this...Mitsubishi drive on ebay

I looked at the one on ebay output is only 5 amps that sounds a little on the low side. I'm just guess but 20 amps sound better. If I put the motor under heavy load would I not need the amps?

I looked at the one on ebay output is only 5 amps that sounds a little on the low side. I'm just guess but 20 amps sound better. If I put the motor under heavy load would I not need the amps?
    One hp roughly speaking is 1kva, (A hp equals 746 watts to be exact so rounding to 1kva is generous). Three phase 220volts at 5amps is nearly 2kva so the 5amp one does give you enough. The calculation is 220v * 5amp * 1.732 = 1905va. The 1.732 is because it is three phase; single phase is just volts * amps.

Because this is an inverter you would normally only run one motor at a time so getting a bigger one is not any benefit. With a rotary phase convertor getting one bigger than you need at this time is worth it because you can run more than one motor at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    ......With a rotary phase convertor getting one bigger than you need at this time is worth it because you can run more than one motor at the same time.
    It may be worth going with a rotary phase at this time as you say Geof. What size, if I wanted to run maybe 3 motors or less at a time. Less than 30hp total and by who I;ve seen Baldor

In need the following collet
    Modified collets and nosepiece of the Mk. 1A. Based on the Schaublin ESX design, these collets were developed with the express intention of providing a superior grip on the shanks of cutting tools.
    An important part of the new assembly was a freely-floating compensating washer which fitted between the collet and nose cap; this was intended to eliminate possible inaccuracies between the locknut thread and its inner surface which clamped against the collet.-info from Tony at http://www.lathes.co.uk/linley/page3.html
    Sorry Mike, the tool holders I had in mind are different. They have a type of Acme Thread at the top of the taper (something like a CAT30). :frown:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

It may be worth going with a rotary phase at this time as you say Geof. What size, if I wanted to run maybe 3 motors or less at a time. Less than 30hp total and by who I;ve seen Baldor
    Al The Man is the one to give you the definite answer. I think it works that if you have a 5 hp idler motor on the rotary phase converter you can run a total of 10 hp on it provided all the wires are the correct capacity. I think your 30hp total may be pushing it if you are connecting this into 120/240volt house wiring this would need around 100amps.

just brought in new 200 amp service that for a small house I figuire if I add a small lathe and maybe a little toolroom cnc that where my guess 30hp came from and it's on the high side Thanks Geof think it time for Al

thing I don't like about phase converters is big and bulky, and not cheap if you want one 'cnc ready'

I run my Milltronics cnc mill single phase and have VFDs on my lathe and grinder/buffers

Quote Originally Posted by 70cyclone
    not cheap if you want one 'cnc ready'
    Well that caught my eye, Mostly I would spend more than $500 on a rotary where as the one I found for $268 would mostly meet my present needs How many real amps should the invertor kick out?Is there any advange of getting one with more amps so it could be switch between machines?

If you want a Little Tool Room Mill these are nice CNC VMC's and they run Single Phase 220

http://www.haascnc.com/details_VMC_N...9#VMCTreeModel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HAAS OM-2A Office Machine.jpg  
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 2 12