586,080 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to use collets!

1st n00b question!

Just got my Taig Today with the ER16 spindle...I have the 3/8 collet and I wanna know how to hold my drill chuck in place! I don't know how to! Can someone help?

Thanks
    Burn

I never seen a taig up close, but what even holds the collets probably comes out of the spindle so you can pu the chuck in its place. What kind of end is on the chuck? Is it morse taper or straight shank?
    Dennis

The ER16 collets are nice, what you need to do is make or buy an arbor for the drill chuck that is 3/8" dia to fit the collet!

OR

Get a full set of ER16 collets, and use the one that fits your drill chuck!

I Don't know the size range that is available for the Taig mill, so it may max out at 3/8" diameter!

Quote Originally Posted by Burn
    1st n00b question!

Just got my Taig Today with the ER16 spindle...I have the 3/8 collet and I wanna know how to hold my drill chuck in place! I don't know how to! Can someone help?

Thanks
    Burn
    Most Drill chucks are either straight shank 1/2 inch, tapered, or integraded shank. An ER16's largest size is .393. Are you sure the actual spindle is an ER16 or is it an R8? If it's an R8 you can get an R8 Collet 1/2 inch and buy a straight shank drill chuck. Or you can buy an R8 Integraded shank Drill Chuck. There is also the option of an R8 taper adapter and a separate drill chuck.

Here is a link to enco check them out. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPAGE?P...006&rfx_page=1
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I got it to work

Just needed a bit more force. Thanks guys

Here is a photo gallery that shows the mill's progress in pictures
    http://customwaterblocks.com/gallery...ls.php?album=5

Also since the ER-16 series is full collapsing you can just use the collets to hold all sizes of your drills up to .393 (metric, a-z, fractional, numbered). That will gain you a lot of Z space so you can machine taller parts. Plus a full set of collets will come in handy right about the time you realize you can't chuck a tool for a part while its in the vise.

That is what I'm afraid of, not having enough Z clearance.