586,116 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Travel To Russia

Please help.Somebody travelled across Russia? How There?I Am going to go here, advise, what route is better for choosing? Of what agency to take advantage? On the internet it is a lot of sites offering these services (gotorussia.com, russia-travel.com, 3btours.com, russia.com, etc.), but it were would be desirable to hear opinion of people which already there.Thanks

I've been there 15 years ago. Things will have changed since then. Plus is, most Russians speak a foreign language, English, German and French. Learn to decode their Cyrillic alphabet beforehand. We had big problems aquiring food besides working.
    It's a bit of a bummer if you see afterwards on a photo "PECTOPAH" which decodes to "RESTORAN". This is also handy to know where you're going to. Beware of corruption. Never, ever, hand over your indentity papers.

Try this site, www.virtualtourist.com it's a general travel forum so you can ask questions and get answers. I have found it very useful when planning travel. I have not been to Russia so I can't really answer any of your questions.

Splint

Corruption is rife. A drunk policeman demanded money from my friends in Moscow on the street and their guide told them they should pay otherwise they'd be locked up as it had happened before. On their way home in the Russian airport the customs agents took two of them from the line into an 'interview' room and demanded an exorbatant amount of money ($1000). They refused and were held until after their flight had left. Their VISA's expired the next day and they were told by same customs agents that if they were still in Russia then they would be arrested. They ended up paying nearly €2000 each to get a flight out of the country that night. Complained to russian embassy and Dept of Foreign Affairs when they got home but never heard anything since.