586,693 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Mastercam v Edgecam

Mastercam v Edgecam

Hi Guys,

I've used Mastercam and I find it very complicated, partly because I'm fairly new to Cad-Cam and I'm having to learn as I go along. Has anyone that uses Edgecam also used Mastercam and can compare the two. Is Edgecam a lot better for a simple novice like me to understand.

I'm seriuosly thinking about making a purchase.

Thanks in advance.

EdgeCam is excellent in my opinion. Two programmers who work for me were using mastercam 9, and they tell me edgeCam is much easier. Especially on 4 axis work.
    www.cncfusion.com CNC kits for Sieg mills and lathes

I've never used it professionally (edgecam), but have heard wonderful things about it. The price (whithout being able to verify it's functionality), seems very very reasonable, in fact, almost too low. If it does what they say, it's a good deal. I can't honestly compare it to Mastercam, but I will say that Mastercam is a very good product, even for the money, and will very likely do everything you need and more.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks guys.

Do Edgecam do a lathe version as well. The idea of it being an easier system to use is becoming more appealing. I do all my drawings in autocad 2000, only because it is what I've always used for a long time and have become so used to it. Some of the more complicated profile drawings are then put into Mastercam as a wire frame and the toolpaths created from there. I don't even bother with a 3D shape or shading and stuff, just saves time. What is Edgecam like as a drawing package.

I'm new to the whole world of CNC and I'm having to learn as I go along. Up to now I've used a two axis mill with a manual tool change but I'm looking to upgrade to a three axis in the very near future. I'll be needing a good simple to understand Cad-Cam system to run it, but one that I can get some training on. I don't want to just go and buy the first thing that comes along and find that it's a bit over my head.

Keep the advice coming, it's all welcome.

I used Mastercam for 18 years and now I use Edgecam. Edgecam's toolpaths are pretty straight forward. Their 2D drawing is much more powerful than I first thought. Toolpaths on 2d Wireframe is pretty easy also. If your getting 3D models (even if you do "flat" work) the Solid importing capability is unbelievable. Load the model, Find the features, Pick a toolpath...Boom... done. Very Very Easy. Built in Machine Simulation. Communications. Extensive Tool & Material library.

A very simple and powerful macro capability. Create a toolpath, save it as a macro, insert some prompts for input (to pick a chain, a point, select a tool or set a depth). You can create a very nice macro without any knowledge of programing languages.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

I currently have both Mastercam and Edgecam. EdgeCam get used 100% of the time. I cant remember the last time i even opened Mastercam.
    EdgeCam has some glitches but they are getting better with each revision.

I think Edgecam is much faster for a R&D shop....I rarely make the same part twice.

I to am new to MC9 and find it difficult to say the least esp. drawing with it(I've always drawn with autocad and still do). However it's like the old addiage, you get what you pay for. MasterCAM is a very powerful tool in experierienced hands. In other words keep learning "grasshoppa"

Recently I start to learn Edgecam as former user of Mastercam and of course I work as Mastercam user still
    Could anybody advise how I can output CL-data to text file like NCI in Mastercam

I'd like to know what the price tag is and if there is a demo version that can be tested before buying.

Tks

Top menu select Verify - Entity.... Select the profile and right click to end the selection. Now check your Feedback window. Right click in the window and copy, then paste it into your editor. Not the same format as Mastercam's Alalyze - Chain. But the data you need is all there.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Mastercam vs. Edgecam

Like Mike, I too have sold and used Mastercam for a number of years and now sell Edgecam. Both are very powerful products and can make complex parts in the hands of the right user.

Mastercam has a ton of "legacy" tools from years ago that are useful, particularly when working with wireframe geometry. There are many ways to get the job done in Mastercam and there is a good selection of strategies and toolpath control.

With that said, I believe that Edgecam is a more modern and automated platform. The stability of the system, graphics performance, and strong solids machining ability far surpasses Mastercam. Macros and automation tools are easy to create and apply, so you don't have to program new parts from scratch like you do in Mastercam.

If you want to be more productive, you might want to take a serious look at getting into 3D modelling, even if you just make simple parts. It is far more efficient to program a 3D model than a 2D model in any CAM system. Edgecam has a very good solid modeler (parametric) available for less than half the price of Solidworks, Inventor, etc.

Both CAM packages will get the job done. However, it is my feeling that Mastercam (like Autodesk and General Motors) is playing catch up with the rest of their competitors now in terms of functionality because of too many lost years without innovation.

Good luck with your choice.

i been using mastercam for about 5 years, we just purchased edgecam and i'm realy into it, i like it alot that it works so great with solidmodels.
    We still kept the mastercam, and so far i only did a few programs with edgecam but i think it's totaly going to take over the programing of all the parts that we do here.

Out of curiosity, I've noticed that on the Edgecam web page there is only pictures of 5 axis operation using a trunion table. Can Edgecam make 5 axis paths for routers with nutating heads?

Splint

5 ax

Hi Splint

yes, toolpaths can be output to head/head configuration machines. Machine simulation is available for most 5 axis configurations as well, with each release adding more functionality. Vericut is big $ but a great way to verify your G-code.

CL-Data

Hi guys

You can find de CL-Data file, after generate the toolpaths (of course) in:
    EdgeCAM -->View--> Verify Machine-->Input File

Josu