586,677 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Spindel recommendations for homebuilt CNC mill?

Question Spindel recommendations for homebuilt CNC mill?

So I just got a 1200$ scholarship from a lokal bank to build my own CNC mill/router and I'm deciding on witch spindel i should buy, I'm was thinking about the Chinese high RPM spindles you find on ebay, are they any good? (220V Water Cooled Motor Spindle ER20 2 2KW Four Bearing Inverter Drive VFD CNC | eBay) Do anyone have any seller to recommend? My understanding of buying these is that it is a hit or miss situation. Do anyone have some experience of who to avoid and who to choose when buying? Looking to buy a 2.2kw watercooled spindle and a matching VFD, hopefully for no more than 350$.
    Do anyone have any experience they would like to share?

Re: Spindel recommendations for homebuilt CNC mill?

Is it a mill or a router? Mills are for cutting metals, and the spindles on mills are typically slow but high in torque. Routers are intended for wood and other soft materials, and their spindles are fast but with much less torque, particularly at the low end of their speed range. The spindles you're looking at are router spindles, and yes, their quality varies a lot. If you get one, make sure the ground is connected internally - for some reason a lot of them are not, which can be dangerous.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Spindel recommendations for homebuilt CNC mill?

Thanks for the tip on grounding the unit! I guess it is more of a router design (here are some pics of an older version: 3-axis cnc machine - Album on Imgur, some have change but the main concept is still the same ) The spindle I´m looking for is going to be used for aluminium and wood, thinking about something like this: 220V Water Cooled Motor Spindle ER20 2 2KW Four Bearing Inverter Drive VFD CNC | eBay. But I´m not sure about the quality from the seller, and would love if someone could share what sellers they bought from and got the product they expected!