586,401 active members*
2,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post processing problems

Hi I have a cx1200y cnc lathe that I baught second hand. It says it accepts g code but when I open nc studio cnc software to run the machine it reads .g .nc .txt and several others basically in aspire I can't find the correct post processor for this as a rotary post processor so the machine seems to be running erratically does anyone know which one to use because there are loads of .nc .tap etc but no .g or which ones are rotary post processors because iam under the impression that it has to be a rotary post processor

thanks in advance
    brad

Re: Post processing problems

The file extension for the machine code file varies for different CNC machines and is easy to accommodate. What is important is the format of the file contents. Basically most CNC machine code files are formated in ASCII text. This means that you should not use a document processor to edit the file (ie. MS Word). You can use notepad or wordpad but if you use wordpad make sure the font is set to (new courier and size 10). The term ISO means that the contents of the data in the file is based on the ISO standard for CNC machine tools (ie. M & G codes). A typical file record for a CNC lathe would be
    N12 G1 G95 X2.25 Z3.75 F.012 (linear feed from current position to absolute X=2.25 Z=3.75 at .012 inches per revolution)
    The record assumes the other modes have been established in a previous record (ie. spindle speed, coolant, etc.)

NCData Services provides a FREE AZpost mill postprocessor that can be configured for most 3-axis mills if your CAM system outputs an industry standard clfile. AZpost also supports MasterCAM NCI files
    An AZpost lathe postprocessor is also available.

NCData, NC Data, NCData Services, NC Data Services, NC postprocessor services, CNC Software

Larry

[QUOTE=Brad_cnc;1536556]Hi I have a cx1200y cnc lathe that I baught second hand. It says it accepts g code but when I open nc studio cnc software to run the machine it reads .g .nc .txt and several others basically in aspire I can't find the correct post processor for this as a rotary post processor so the machine seems to be running erratically does anyone know which one to use because there are loads of .nc .tap etc but no .g or which ones are rotary post processors because iam under the impression that it has to be a rotary post processor
    <snip>

Brad,
    I view this machine to be an XZ router with a rotary axis about the X-axis, not a lathe.

You did not identify which (if any) version of BobCAD-CAM you are using. The post-processor is used by the CAM software to provide the posted code configured to the controller (NC Studio , in this case). Take a look at the following resources. A post-processor (mill / router) for NC Studio is available for download from the BCC site. Additionally, a machine configuration must be specified within BCC. A machine configuration will need to be created in BCC to have the third axis as rotational. The suffix applied to the G-code file can be specified in the machine configuration settings.

CNC Machine Post Processors | CAD/CAM Software | BobCAD-CAM
    BobCAD-CAM V24 Getting Started 3 of 15 - YouTube
    BobCAD-CAM V24 Getting Started 4 of 15 - YouTube
    CAD/CAM Videos | CNC Software Videos | BobCAD-CAM | BobCAD-CAM (Machine Configuration)

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Brad_cnc View Post
    basically in aspire I can't find the correct post processor...

brad
    You should try the Aspire forum here: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vectric/