586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Angled walls with chamfer mill?

Threaded View

Angled walls with chamfer mill?

I've got a project where I need an angled wall in 6AL-4V, with one setup, so I can't use a sine-vise, or other method of tilting the work piece. I've attached an example .igs (in the zip) file showing a 60 degree wall. I've bought one of these Chamfer Mill and would like to use it to finish the 60 degree wall. I'm using v26 pro. Ideally, I'd rough it with a square end-mill then finish the wall by walking down it with the chamfer mill. I can't figure out an "easy" way to do that since 3D machining doesn't seem to support "V-bits" like the V-Carve section, or 2D chamfer tool path does. Right now, I'm considering.

1. Use 3D advanded roughing to hog most of the wall with a square end mill, leaving steps in the wall.
    2. Use the simulator to then create an .stl file of the workpeice after the first operation.
    3. Extract edges from the .stl "rest machining" file and do 2D chamfering on the extracted edges of the steps left from #1.

Is there an easier way?

-Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files