586,112 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What is the best machine of the money

What is the best machine of the money

Ok I know there are other threads like this but I cant find one that answers my questions completly so here I go.

The three machine plans/kits im looking at are the cnc router parts both standard and pro, kronos robotics KRMx02, and the fine line automation.

I want around a 4x4 machine and I want the most for my money but I also dont want to break the bank. So what is the best machine for my money. The KRMx02 said the smaller machine is $3200 but I cant see the estimate on the bigger machines. with the cnc router parts it looks like ill be spending $5000+. my phone dosent work well with the fineline automation so I cant see the prices there either.

So for the cnc router parts pro really that much better than the standard?

out of all three/four mavhines what has the better design for the money they all seem real simular?

I wana state that I have nothing yet so will have to buy everything.

Re: What is the best machine of the money

The best machine for your money in my estimation is one that you design and build yourself. Volumes are such on these machines that it is very possible to beat the going rate so to speak. This is especially the case if you are good at scrounging, E-Bay surfing and know you local sources well.

Quote Originally Posted by jparks View Post
    Ok I know there are other threads like this but I cant find one that answers my questions completly so here I go.
    I'm not sure you will ever find a thread that answers these sorts of questions. There are too many perspectives and frankly much is unknown about how you intend to use the machine.
    The three machine plans/kits im looking at are the cnc router parts both standard and pro, kronos robotics KRMx02, and the fine line automation.

I want around a 4x4 machine and I want the most for my money but I also dont want to break the bank. So what is the best machine for my money.
    Without knowing your intended usage no body will even come close with a valid answer.
    The KRMx02 said the smaller machine is $3200 but I cant see the estimate on the bigger machines. with the cnc router parts it looks like ill be spending $5000+. my phone dosent work well with the fineline automation so I cant see the prices there either.

So for the cnc router parts pro really that much better than the standard?

out of all three/four mavhines what has the better design for the money they all seem real simular?

I wana state that I have nothing yet so will have to buy everything.
    I'd suggest spending a few days reading the threads here in the DIY forum and also the other forums to get an idea of what YOU expect out of the machine. That makes a massive difference in what is acceptable. For example a guy doing musical instruments might have a significantly different expectation than the guy cutting dinosaurs out of sheet goods, not to mention that the guy doing sheet metal panel work may have yet again different expectations.

So the first thing you need to have or develop is a firm expectation of what the machine will need to do for you.

Both the Kronos and FineLine machines are based on CNC Routerparts components, and all 3 are similar in many ways.
    The Kronos is built like a tank, very big and bulky.

As Wizard said, it comes down to what your expectations are.

The FineLine machines have been redesigned, and there's not much info on their website. There is a thread here, though, I think.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I would really like to design and build one my self but first I would like to build a kit to get the feel and experience.

I really like how beefy the kronos looks but I dont have the experiance to know the differences between the three. They are all very similar.

Im gonna try and break down how I plan to use it.
    75% wood (majority being mdf)
    23% polymers fibers and such
    2% aluminum (all cut outs and holes)

And now ill break down the type cuts ill be making.
    60% cut outs such as leters puzles skeleton statues
    20% engraving/etching
    20% 3d carvings such as the myan calender

Hope this helps understand my intended use and might help answer my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jparks View Post
    I would really like to design and build one my self but first I would like to build a kit to get the feel and experience.
    That is reasonable. I've been working on machinery all my life soim less reluctant to start on something that isn't a proven design.
    I really like how beefy the kronos looks but I dont have the experiance to know the differences between the three. They are all very similar.

Im gonna try and break down how I plan to use it.
    75% wood (majority being mdf)
    23% polymers fibers and such
    2% aluminum (all cut outs and holes)
    This is good to know. Here is the bad part, you will want to avoid machines built out of wood based materials if you expect to do an extensive amount of work in aluminum. Stiffer is also better when machining metals too. If your cutouts and holes are in relatively thin aluminum you won't need to spend a huge pile of money on the stiffest possible machine.

And now ill break down the type cuts ill be making.
    60% cut outs such as leters puzles skeleton statues
    Such work can be handled on a relatively cheap machine.
    20% engraving/etching
    This however is a different story and can be very demanding requiring precision and repeatability. In fact depending upon expectations here you may need an entirely different machine. Again that word expectations comes up but there is a wide range of what could be called engraving. For example imagine the engraving on a shotgun receiver that guys often inspect close up which probably requires a more conventional mill. Even something like doing a PCB requires a precise machine especially as the end mills become very tiny along with the traces. Here again you might want a different machine that is smaller, more accurate and has a better spindle. .
    20% 3d carvings such as the myan calender
    Here again repeatability is important as is machine stiffness.
    Hope this helps understand my intended use and might help answer my questions.
    It still comes back to you having to answer the question yourself. I hope some of my comments help above. A good portion of what you want to accomplish can be done on a lower end machine. It is the other half that I would have a concern with.

As a side note you will read through this forum and find that lots of guys are on their second or third build. Some things just become much clearer when an example is sitting right in front of you. So they take the shortcomings that where present in the first machine and eliminate them in the second machine. It is a learning process that you can leverage for yourself.

Speaking of short comings, every machine has them. This especially so in the price range you are looking.

I'm nodding off here!