586,062 active members*
4,429 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Importing file help

I am trying to import a file type of .sldprt or step files

What cam software can support this file type. Also if I were to get a new software, what would you suggest. At the moment I have only used vCarve and it doesn't support this file type. I would like to get something new but only spend about $200 and it would have to be able to support most file types that I could nned to use. I would like to start doing some more advanced stuff and so far have been looking at cambam. Thanks for you advice and help in advance

Re: Importing file help

*.sldprt is proprietary to being a SOLIDWORKS system file
    *.stp/ *.step is a file extension for a 3-D graphic file used by many different CAD softwares. STP stands for STandard for the Exchange of Product model data

It is very common to be able to find CADware able to convert .stp files into their structure, more so than ones being able to import a .sldprt file.

IMO, I would consider software that can convert DXF, DWG, for 2D entities
    - with STP & IGES for 3D models as your minimum requirement, as these can be output by many CAD systems

some can argue STL files should be on the list, but...... the models contained in these files CAN be altered by adjusting the tolerance when saving, and also when importing
    - you could save a file drawn as a disc, change to a coarse tolerance when saving & importing, and end up having a hexagon as the shape on the screen....but this is an extreme example

There are, of course, other formats, but then that comes down to personal preference.
    - so, make a list and go shopping

Wiki link , scroll down to computer aided section for more extension formats