586,115 active members*
3,348 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Daewoo Puma 2500 vs Mori Seki NL2500SY Lathes
Page 2 of 2 12
    (Hey we all get lucky some time So what kind of Tool Changer do you have on them 2000SY's?)

It's not luck. There are 7 to 8 similar machines in this area running this way too. This machine is a lathe so it has no toolchanger. It has a 12 station turret.
    Thanks for the help.

I decided to revive this thread. I have purchased 3 Daewoo/Doosan SY lathes in the last 11 months. Pieces of crap, consistant recurring problems. Mori is coming next week to try and help. Here is a link to my thread where I am doing my best rants.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...549#post319549

Unhappy Daewoo - Puma 2000Y

Need a post for Mastercam X for the title machine. Anybody has one ?

I have ran many different cnc lathes and mills over the years and if i were to buy a new turn/mill center it would be a Mori Seiki. It will out last all the other machine tools out there......... Deawoo is a Koren Haas throw it away in five years

perfect example... talked to a customer once with a daewoo and they said "why should i spend $___ more on your machine when i can get the daewoo and save money?". After convincing them that the technology was far better they bought one... then another... then another... working on a 4th machine in the future and the owner has told me flat out he will never buy another lathe but a mori

oh... and they have since sold the daewoo to put the third mori in place

Not to drag this up from the dead, but....
    This thread was a good read. Some very helpful replies, as I have been comparing just these two very machines. This will be my first turning center, and to say the least it seems its very easy to have big eyes with options. Nevertheless difficult to make a decision. I have a haas vm2 right now, and the only issues I have had thus far are with the 12k spindle, but they should be warrantying that. I get what the Haas is as far as machine tools go, which is why I am now attracted to the mori's. Arthur loves to push the value play machines... however I really think the machine tools reliability will be mostly dependent on what your running on it. Prototype vs. production, hard vs. soft materials... etc.

That being said, anyone familiar with the used Mori line?

that customer i mentioned now owns 3 NLs, a DuraVertical and an NH4000. Even in a soft industry they are still pulling hard and looking into more equipment .

If I were you, I'd look really hard at the NL. it's a wonderful machine and has proven to be one of the most popular lathes ever built by mori. with good reasoning. As far as used machines go - the issue with that is because you're buying a used machine, possibly from another territory, your service support will be a little lackluster at times... but that's the norm for any machine tool builder/distributor...

Quote Originally Posted by the thrill View Post
    perfect example... talked to a customer once with a daewoo and they said "why should i spend more on your machine when i can get the daewoo and save money?". After convincing them that the technology was far better they bought one... then another... then another... working on a 4th machine in the future and the owner has told me flat out he will never buy another lathe but a mori

oh... and they have since sold the daewoo to put the third mori in place
    Mori is the shiznit as my 14 year old would say, I have been in this bis for 30 years and have worked them all and nothing has ever proven as reliable as the MORI's NOTHING, So put a crowbar to your wallet folks and by the MORI"S you will be glad you did

Bluesman

Man I tell ya, they are really pushing the doosan's. List was like 144k for a brand new 2000sy, its no wonder they are so attractive. Makes for quite a tough decision.

Sleeper,

I have a NL-2500SY and a NL-3000Y/1250. They are only a few months old. The control really makes a perfect machine even better. MappsIII and Capps is the stuff. It does things that the Daewoo/Doosan would need to think twice about. The Mori may be more expensive, but worth every stinkin' penny. The only real gripe I have is the "door lock" That drives me crazy. I had 4 Daewoos quoted including a 2500SY and a MX-2500ST. Thank goodness I bought the Mori's. I really don't think the Fanuc Manual guide control is any where close to the Mori control. I am not using offline programming right now so this was a deciding factor to buy the Mori's.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLOG View Post
    Sleeper,

I have a NL-2500SY and a NL-3000Y/1250. They are only a few months old. The control really makes a perfect machine even better. MappsIII and Capps is the stuff. It does things that the Daewoo/Doosan would need to think twice about. The Mori may be more expensive, but worth every stinkin' penny. The only real gripe I have is the "door lock" That drives me crazy. I had 4 Daewoos quoted including a 2500SY and a MX-2500ST. Thank goodness I bought the Mori's. I really don't think the Fanuc Manual guide control is any where close to the Mori control. I am not using offline programming right now so this was a deciding factor to buy the Mori's.
    I hear ya... I have not yet done enough research about their product line just yet. Have yet to make a trip to the local dealer, figured I would wait till IMTS. I am very eager to familiarize myself with the Mori line.

I have four 2500sy pumas and several other pumas including a brand new invaturn 3000m wich is an inverted spindle lathe with an automatic parts loading system for twenty four hour lights out operation. However it usually can not run a week with out having some one come in to complete warranty work. These machines are ok for the money, but we do not work on our Mori lathes unless something like the APC battery voltage goes dead on the weekend. If you want one machine and the money is not the biggest deciding factor I think you would be fool not to go with the Mori. If they are the same lathes you also have to consider stalking parts that would fit two machines in your crib rather than one. And also the interchangable tooling as i see someone else mentioned.

We don't have Daewoo...and to be honest, I wouldn't even think about buying them.
    We currently have 4 Mazaks, and I just ordered a Mori NL2500SY.

So that being said, I don't have years of experience with the mori yet, but I am quite sure that I will be more than happy with it.
    Buy the Mori. You already have one, and I am confident that they are a better machine than Daewoo and Mazak.

Oh, and personally, I would rather spend some money upfront, and have a machine that is reliable and consistently PAYS for itself, rather than spend less money and have problems all the time, and service calls, and broken down machines, and down time, and missed deadlines, and late orders, and...

If my new Mori works half as good as everyone says the do, I will still be miles ahead of my Mazaks.

Quote Originally Posted by frogier View Post
    Are the Daewoo's reliable?
    i keep hearing bad stuff about the Daewoo, we have two 2000SY that we run 2 shifts 6 days per week cutting every thing from titanium to delrin, and i have to say they are reliable- no problems, now we are looking to get another one
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

Page 2 of 2 12