586,075 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Roughing then Finishing - Whats the workflow

Roughing then Finishing - Whats the workflow

I'm struggling a bit with the concept of how to set up to do a roughing pass, then to do a finishing pass.

What i'm trying to create a set of moulds out of aluminium.

I'd like to use a bigger tools to rough out most of the material, and then use a smaller tool to finish up.

The only way i can see how this can be done is to run two separate MOPS, one for the 6mm tool, and one for the 3mm tool. In the first ( rough out ) MOP i'd set the roughing clearance to say 1mm or so. In the second MOP I set it to be 0mm.

But using the second mop, it going to spend a lot of time, driving the tool through "space" where its already been cut out. And that could take a long time.

Is there a better way of approaching this?

I was going to post this on the CAM bam forum, but am waiting to be approved.

Re: Roughing then Finishing - Whats the workflow

Does your cam have a rest machining option?
    In hsmworks, this option will eliminate moves that were taken care of by previous operations.
    Also, you may be able to confine your finish to just touch the surfaces you want to machine (just the cavity i am assuming).

It's the "Depth Increment" setting in the MOP. For the roughing cut, set the Depth Increment to the desired level per pass of the tool. In the second finish MOP, set a Depth Increment that is the finish depth. It will then cut down to this level on the first pass.

On similar pockets, I use a Pocket MOP for the roughing and follow with Profile MOPs for the finish passes. That eliminates cutting air.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by leh View Post
    On similar pockets, I use a Pocket MOP for the roughing and follow with Profile MOPs for the finish passes. That eliminates cutting air.
    Not necessarily true. If you Pocket rough a finish Profile will not get to the center. If you Pocket rough, copy MOP to Finish, change bit etc. and set Depth Increment to the depth of the pocket. It will not cut air.

Quote Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
    Not necessarily true. If you Pocket rough a finish Profile will not get to the center. If you Pocket rough, copy MOP to Finish, change bit etc. and set Depth Increment to the depth of the pocket. It will not cut air.
    I get what you are saying. On my machine, I tend to get a nice finish on the bottom of pockets with an OK finish on the walls when roughing. I pocket to the finish depth with a roughing clearance of 5 thousandths on the walls. I use the profile MOP to clean up the 5 thou - no time cutting air. That is one of the things I like about Cambam, lots of ways to get what you want.

Oops -just noticed we are replying to a two month old thread. I'm guessing the OP has already got this figured out.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk