586,096 active members*
3,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Plasma CNC

Plasma CNC

Hi guys I'm having some trouble with my plasma table and would like to know if anyone could help. I'm running a Lightning CNC 4x4 table with a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster A60 plasma cutter. I've had great success with this setup but have run into a couple hiccups. When cutting, The straight line cuts are bowing, whether the corners stick out farther or the center sucks in. While trying to fix this I've sped up the torch, but in doing so the corners end up like so.. I cannot find a solution to this, could anyone help? Thank you.

Re: Plasma CNC

Either your torch moiunt is sloppy (loose) or your THC is bouncing (oscillating). I suspect #1 because it gets worse the faster you cut and change direction. Grab your torch body and tug in all directions and see how much play you have. If you have a machine torch the long body will put lots more stress on the mount. Bowing lines indicates something is loose in your mechanics.

your holes aren't round either indicating excessive backlash. I agree with torchhead something is loose or your machine isn't stiff enough.

looks like your gantry has some deflection. seems that when you change direction you are getting some oscillation. try to tap your gantry end plates and look closely to see if it oscillates after you tap it.