586,106 active members*
2,955 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > WJ200 wiring main power in. Help
Page 1 of 2 12

WJ200 wiring main power in. Help

All:

I have searched and scoured but found no clear answer or maybe just confused myself more.

I am coming from the garage sub-panel 30 amp breaker with single phase L1 (110V), L2 (110V), Neutral, Ground wires.
    If I am understanding the manual correct on wiring main power to VFD I connect :

1: G to Chassis Ground (m4)
    2: L1 to R/L1
    3: L2 to T/L3

S/L2 is specifically stated to be left unconnected when single phase to 3 phase

And my neutral from sub-panel goes where?

I hope this isn't as stupid a question as I feel asking it. I get nervous when I have parts left over or in this instance a Neutral Wire.
    I assume since Neutral and Ground are bonded together in subpanel box it is redundant.

Please let me know I am right or wrong with what I described above.

Thanks, Steven
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Re: WJ200 wiring main power in. Help

You do not connect the neutral in your case.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the quick answer Al.
    I really appreciate your expertise on the forums. I have read many of your posts and learned alot.

Steven
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I just hooked up my Hitachi WJ200 VFD for the first time. I have a single phase inverter and single phase 220V comprising of 2 110V lines. I hooked my L1 to L1 and L2 to N on the inverter. I flipped the breaker, saw it turn on and went to alter the settings and then 4 dashes appeared on the screen for maybe 20-30 seconds. I then heard a small "popping" noise and I turned off the power. When I turn the power back on, the VFD doesn't respond with lights or any other signs of life. Any suggestions on what happened?

Similar scenario as this thread: Hitachi WJ200-055LF on single phase?

Link does not work.
    But there should have not been a problem? Do you have the WJ200-001-S-F single phase version?
    Al.

Albert E.

Yes I have the single phase (wj200-022-sf) version of the 2.2kw inverter.

Link address: Hitachi WJ200-055LF on single phase?

Still doing research on this as well. I think it was my MOVs popping. Not sure what a MOV is or what caused it to pop yet.

If the link still doesn't work it's because CNC Zone wants to replace "PRACTICAL(nospace)MACHINIST" in the URL with cnczone. You may have to do some obvious editing in the link here: www.practical(deletethis)machinist.com/vb/transformers-phase-converters-vfd/hitachi-wj200-055lf-single-phase-284544/

Edit: Looks like you can't even type practical machinist as one word on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Quada View Post
    Still doing research on this as well. I think it was my MOVs popping. Not sure what a MOV is or what caused it to pop yet.
    If it is the MOV's this is usually caused by excess voltage input?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If it is the MOV's this is usually caused by excess voltage input?
    Al.
    Still not 100% sure it was the MOVs as I haven't taken it apart yet but I have a steady 115VAC on each leg. Measuring between the L1 and N on the terminals of the VFD is just 1.2VAC but that is expected because both lines are hot with 110V, right?

standles

Can you post a photo of how you wired the VFD, should be wired L1 & L3
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    standles

Can you post a photo of how you wired the VFD, should be wired L1 & L3
    I'm assuming you were asking me for a picture. See attached. L1 is going to the L1 input of the VFD and the L2 leg of the 220 is going to the "N" input of the VFD.
    Attachment 252662
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131119_204255_cord.jpg  

Quada

It looks correct except for the wire colors, you are showing a white wire on L1 that should be were the Black wire goes, the white wire is the negative wire
    Mactec54

Quada

It looks correct except for the wire colors, you are showing a white wire on L1 that should be were the Black wire goes, the white wire is the negative wire
    It's a 4 wire 220V system with two 110V legs, a neutral, and a ground. Both of the legs, L1 and L2 are "hot" so it shouldn't matter if they are switched because they function the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Quada View Post
    It's a 4 wire 220V system with two 110V legs, a neutral, and a ground. Both of the legs, L1 and L2 are "hot" so it shouldn't matter if they are switched because they function the same?
    That is correct, it is that the white wire can not be used as a Hot wire, it can only be used as a Neutral wire, it is the color of the wire that is the problem,

In wiring your cable you have used the wrong colored wires, for the Hot wires, the Black Hot, you have used is correct, what other color wires do you have in your cable
    Mactec54

That is correct, it is that the white wire can not be used as a Hot wire, it can only be used as a Neutral wire, it is the color of the wire that is the problem,

In wiring your cable you have used the wrong colored wires, for the Hot wires, the Black Hot, you have used is correct, what other color wires do you have in your cable
    My wires are all black 10ga, not white, black, and green. Sorry for the confusion, I edited the previous picture to avoid confusion for any forum goers in the future. The two hot wires are on L1 and N inputs of the VFD. I understand that AC goes back and forth but where is the neutral wire in this system if both wires are hot?

The Hitachi SF is 200-240 single phase, so you should have 240v between the L1 and N it is labeled this way because other countries apart from N.A. have L1=240vac and a neutral, in N.A. the neutral is not connected.
    It does not matter which is connected to N, either L1 or L2 of the 240v supply.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The Hitachi SF is 200-240 single phase, so you should have 240v between the L1 and N it is labeled this way because other countries apart from N.A. have L1=240vac and a neutral, in N.A. the neutral is not connected.
    It does not matter which is connected to N, either L1 or L2 of the 240v supply.
    Al.
    But I don't have 240v between the legs; I only have ~1 VAC between the legs because they are both 115V legs?

Then you have something wrong, because in N.A. your domestic supply is a 240v centre tapped transformer, 120-0-120, or 240v between the outer ends.
    If you have virtually the same voltage on each, then that may indicate you have two conductors from the same side of the secondary?.
    Al.

Albert E.

let me try to explain another way....

you do NOT have 110v coming into your house. You have 220 coming in from the poco transformer likely on telephone pole by your street. it has 3 wires - 2 black insulated wires that have 220v between them and usually an uninsulated 'ground/nuetral' wire. this uninsulated is from the centertap of the transformer on the pole out front of your house. so if you measre from EITHER black wire to that one you get 110v.

You are NOT to use that neutral wire on the vfd. tape it up and put it away. forget it exists.

Now you are left with those 2 black wires. they MUST have 220v between them. We do not care what each measures to ground or that nuetral you taped up and are not using.

Your job is to find out why you do not have 220v between those 2 black wires; it sounds like they both are actually tied to the SAME 220v side of your power source. Perhaps a picture of how you wired the cable into your power source would let us help show what is wrong?

The scenario you described is typical of someone putting the black wires on L1 & L3 (relabeled N for your model) AND THEIR NUETRAL ON N/- on right side top. THAT will usually let it run like you said for a few seconds, then popping sounds, then the dashes, then dead.

IF your MOVs popped, they do not effect the vfd turning on, running, working in anyway. We can discuss why they are there and what effect they attempt to protect against later if you want, but they do not have bearing on your issue here. BEsides, they are rated hi enough voltage that there is zero way for you to harm them no matter how you wire it from a single phase home 220v source.

HItachi has repair facilities and will evaluate it for you if you want. Our experience is about 90% of returned drives are not considered warranty and the repair charge is not worth it compared to just buying a new one.

Perhaps if you find out why your L1 to N is only 1v it may give a clue to what happened.

also, beside a pix of your power source wiring, an actual pix of the wiring inside the vfd terminal box would help too rather than a graphic....

Page 1 of 2 12