586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > CNC ROUTER 3 AXIS - BUILDING

CNC ROUTER 3 AXIS - BUILDING

CNC ROUTER 3 AXIS - BUILDING

this is the kit: NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 290oz in 3 Axis TB6560 Board CNC Kit Router Free SHIP | eBay

I will construct my first cnc router for wood using this kit above. I never construct one.

I plan to buy this kit, but I'm afraid to buy and not know how to start this electronic part. My problem is not the mechanical part but can operate this kit. Could send me some links that teach putting this equipment into operation? Do not know much about electronics.

I want to use this kit with the Mach3. I have a computer with "25 Pin DB25 Parallel".

Summing up, I wanted to see some tutorial teaching how to connect all this (beginner level) .. and then connect the cable to the computer (with the Mach3 already installed), how to set up and whether this all working.

After the Mach3 installed, simply connect the cable only on the computer that everything is already ok?

I apologize for the lack of knowledge, is that I do not have any of that at home, I'm afraid to buy and not knowing assemble and configure the system with mach3.

I hope you can help me. Grateful.

Vitor Spadeto Venturin

Re: CNC ROUTER 3 AXIS - BUILDING

I wouldn't buy that kit.

First you need to get some education and that would start with reading this forum throughly.

Second that kit may have one of the controller boards known to be problematic, I can't say for sure.

Third you need to define what you expect out of the machine. The kit you are looking at could simply be too small depending upon the size of the machine and what you will be doing.

Thanks wizard . I will read more.

But If this Driver Board may be problematic, What would be a recommended Driver Board (in general)?

What about this? CNC Kit 3Axis Nema23 Stepper Motor M335 Stepper Driver for Mill Router Engraving | eBay

with respect to size, I will design and characteristics with measures recommended for the kit you choose. I will not choose and buy. This question is to first understand more about it.

Avoid the Ebay TB6560 boards like the plague, they are generally a very poorly designed and manufactured board that simply cannot work as it should, without substantial design changes. And even then they are very low performance and reliability.

The second ebay link you gave, doesn't look too much better at first glance without knowing what size machine you want to build and what you will want to machine. The steppers listed for example ideally need 48-50VDC, so with the supplied PSU being 24VDC, your severly underpowering the motors which greatly affect speed and reliability. Adding to this is that they are fairly low torque at 175oz/in anyway.

The ideal configuration to shoot for, would be a Gecko G540 4 axis driver, which is bulletproof and has the breakout/buffer board built in. A 48VDC PSU, and steppers with as low an inductance rating as possible, 280-300oz/in ones are commonly avaliable with around 2.3uH, whch will give you the best bang for your buck possible for almost any size hobby machine. This will be efficient, while giving enough grunt to machine aluminium depending on the frame and gantry build construction.

To determine the size PSU you require, is simply the square root of the inductance value, multiplied by 32.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by cncspadeto View Post
    Thanks wizard . I will read more.

But If this Driver Board may be problematic, What would be a recommended Driver Board (in general)?
    Ian's post above reminded me that I was right about that board, it is effectivley junk. The Gecko G540 suggested has a very good reputation which may be good for the DIY person with limited experience. I would tend to prefer individual amps/drivers myself and a separate controller board.
    What about this? CNC Kit 3Axis Nema23 Stepper Motor M335 Stepper Driver for Mill Router Engraving | eBay

with respect to size, I will design and characteristics with measures recommended for the kit you choose.
    I'm not sure what you are saying here. Generally you select electronics to suit the machine you build and the performance you want. Buying the electronics first seems to be backwards to me. On the other hand it isn't unknown to collect salvaged materials and build machines around what vp an be had discounted.
    I will not choose and buy. This question is to first understand more about it.
    The problem is nobody can choose for you unless they understand your goals and needs. Saying you will construct a router for wood doesn't tell us much at all about its weight, size nor the performance you want out of the machine. The demands of a machine with a 12" gantry are different than one with a 60" gantry.

Check these tutorials out.
    CNC and Linear Motion Related Tutorials