586,102 active members*
2,394 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Whats the most expensive part you've worked on?
Page 1 of 4 123

Cool Whats the most expensive part you've worked on?

The other day my coworker and I were discussing what the most expensive part we have worked on and we both decieded it was this part that maybe comes through the shop twice a year or so........the thing sells for 25k new!....big ol chunk of 17-4 stainless steel, (30-35 hours cnc mill time, 10-15hours conventional time) lots of close tolerance bores, internal o-ring grooves etc......major final op. pucker factor!

I thought it might be fun to hear some war stories on how under paid/over worked ya'll are!

Brian

BIG chunk of 110 copper, 28'' long, 14'' wide, 8'' thick. Lots of pockets thru holes and slots on one side and sh$t load of cooling fins and pockets with 4-40 tapped blind holes on all other sides. I the end its a big @ss exspensive heat sink.

I have machined 3 of these in the last 6 months

$10,000 US lasers I would have to machine angled spots mounting shims. Every one was different and I would do 5 to 10 a week. Oh and if the laser vibrated the glue holding the lenses in would break loose. For some reason no one else wanted to touch them.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

D2 X49" Y20.4" Z12.5". My best guess is that they weigh 6,000 to 7,500 Pounds each. No idea what they cost but they have to be at least $10,000 each. Not my shop, materials, machines or parts thank God. Idiot operator ripped one of these off the table last week. What was once a Beautiful Enshu VMC650 (1986) now has a CAT50 Tool jammed in the spindle and gouges on the table. Good thing I already got paid for the program and setup. Now waiting for the repair guy to fix it. Till then a short vacation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3d solid model.JPG   3d solid model B.JPG   3d solid model C.JPG   3d solid model D.JPG  

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

the project I'm most proud to have been part of is a project through the Office of Naval Reseach. For a Biomimetic Underwater Robot Based on the American Lobster. I was the Engeering Model Maker we did this job back in 2000 along with a few others project (Sonar) at Massa Products Higham,Ma.
    http://www.massa.com/underwater_whatsnew_military.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lobster.jpg   Virginia_Submarine.JPG  

That lobster vehicle is really cool Lakeside, and a really good idea. Mines in shallow water present a series of unique problems. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid
    That lobster vehicle is really cool Lakeside, and a really good idea. Mines in shallow water present a series of unique problems. Good job.

This maybe part of the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top_underwater.gif  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Here a story in the Lobster that was in our local paper. I am nolong with Massa right after 9-11 funding on a lot of jobs was held up so it was one more lay-off for me

ARCHIVES

LOBSTER LA NAVY: Hingham company gets $1.3M contract to perfect robotic crustacean capable of detecting mines

By FRANCEEN SHAUGHNESSY The Patriot Ledger

HINGHAM - An underwater battalion of lobster-like robots developed by a Hingham company could become the Navy's newest line of defense against mines.

Massa Products Corp. of Hingham and Northeastern University are beginning a three-year project to perfect a robot designed to detect mines in water 10 to 40 feet deep. They have been awarded a $1.3 million contract by the federal Office of Naval Research.

Joseph Ayers, a biology professor at Northeastern University, thought of and designed the lobster robot in the early 1990s. The idea grew from his 33 years of studying how lobsters walk and search the sea floor for food.

Shortly after working out his first design, Ayers and the Marine Science Center at Northeastern University teamed with Massa Products to build a prototype.

The lobsters are designed according to the principles of a relatively new science called biomimetics,'' in which machines are created to mimic the movements and behavior of living things.

The idea of building robots on this basis is really starting to catch on,'' Ayers said.

Traditionally, robots with artificial intelligence have been designed by computer scientists. Biomimetic robots are designed by biologists.

In the lobster robot's case, the idea is to have it search for mines the same way a lobster searches for food.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    ....In the lobster robot's case, the idea is to have it search for mines the same way a lobster searches for food.
    But now the big problem is getting the mine manufacturers to make their mines taste like food for robotic lobsters

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    But now the big problem is getting the mine manufacturers to make their mines taste like food for robotic lobsters

Someone is in a humorous mood this weekend. I wonder who that could be Geof?
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    The lobster is the biggest scavenger in the ocean. It not picky about what it has in it's jaws (Especially when they are made of plastic explosives)

Why not just breed a few thousand real lobsters and release them when needed to trample/hit off/bang against the mines for about 1/20th the cost, or would this be politically incorrect.

Why not just breed a few thousand real lobsters and release them when needed to trample/hit off/bang against the mines for about 1/20th the cost, or would this be politically incorrect.

Personally that seems more like Animal Cruelty. How about we send the Politicians in stead of the Lobsters "Two Birds, One Stone"

Is it not the Politicians that order the Military to place mines anyway?
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

If they would be cooked and presented on a plate then i'm with you :yummy:
    Keith

Personally the most expensive "part" i've worked on was a fuel tanker...If I cocked it up the tank would cost £35.000 to replace!
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis
    Personally that seems more like Animal Cruelty. How about we send the Politicians in stead of the Lobsters "Two Birds, One Stone"

Is it not the Politicians that order the Military to place mines anyway?
    i think that unfortunately the military often convinces the politicians that things like placing mines is the 'only choice' to 'win'... just like it does with so much of the way we spend money.. the military is very political.. at least in states.. other places the military IS politics (think cuba, etc.)

ive gotten off topic...

at the last place i worked i was designing a knob that was going to made in batches of several million...the knob itself will cost <$1.00, but the molds and engineering time... quite alot...

A head box for a paper making machine. Made of 416 ss it weighed 200,000 lbs.and is used to make a 600 inch wide sheet of paper. I machined it on a mitsubishi MAF-240. part cost $500,000.

Cool

Lakeside-nice project on the lobster....can't really put a price on something like that! a project you can be proud of! btw-are you going for the post record on your "part or art" thread???? I have like 207 e-mails!!!! sheesh!
    The thread that won't die!

not the most expensive part ive done but blew up a tool in a $12,000 part today in the last half hour of the shift , turns out bad things happen when i forget to take the locating pin out of the part , (nuts)
    time to do a lil tweaking !

Quote Originally Posted by vacpress
    i think that unfortunately the military often convinces the politicians that things like placing mines is the 'only choice' to 'win'... just like it does with so much of the way we spend money.. the military is very political.. at least in states.. other places the military IS politics (think cuba, etc.)

ive gotten off topic...

at the last place i worked i was designing a knob that was going to made in batches of several million...the knob itself will cost <$1.00, but the molds and engineering time... quite alot...

I guess I shouldn't complain about the Military or Politicians because without them most people wouldn't have any work
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 4 123