586,635 active members*
3,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Y axis humming on VF-1

Well, we just received a VF-1D.

We had a couple issues when we received it. Sometimes we'd have very long bootup times. (10 minutes) As well as our Z and Y axis sometimes would start hunting. (Could see in the current commands, the axis that was hunting would fluxtuate a couple percent)

You can hear the hum pretty well, as well as feel the table buzzing. This is when the machine is stationary.

The tech came up, and updated our software which apparently will fix the long bootup time. He was able to fix the Z axis by adjusting a couple parameters, but the Y axis still hums from time to time.

Should I be concerned about this? Anyone else experience anything similar?

I have had a humming/buzzing axis on a couple of new machines and they were fixed by having the Haas tech play with parameters. I had to be very insistent on getting it done while the machines were under warranty.

I also had the long boot up on a new VF2 a few weeks ago. This one fixed itself after I had called in the tech but before he arrived and now boots up faster than some of my other machines.

My philosphy is nag to get them fixed under warranty and if that doesn't work write a letter to Haas getting it on record that the problem exists and you will hold them responsible for it even after the warranty period. This has worked in the past.

Thanks Geof. The tech seemed to know what he was doing, and he toyed with the parameters the entire day he was there. He was also a nice guy, I don't want to give him a bad name by complaining that he wasn't able to fix the issue, but I do want it fixed. I'm not sure what they could do--short of replacing the motor.

Our long bootup time seemed very random. Haas said it was an issue with how long the machine has been off for.

Well that's Haas for you!!! we have 8 Haas Machines and they all act weird after 8 years. It is a sign machine need constant maintain.......

Could the "humming" on your Y be a servo amp problem?
    I recently had mine go on my Z axis of a VFOE, and thats how it started .. with "humming" but only upon start-up.