586,634 active members*
2,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Controlling a Boss Spindle via VFD

Hey guys,
    I am trying to wrap-up my retofit project, and want to control my Boss 6 using a VFD. I noticed that the stock spindle motor only has a speed rating of 1415 RPM. I want to have the ability to turn the spindle to 5K. In high-gear, the spindle gear ratio is 1:1; which means I need at least 3.5:1 sprockets up top. I am curious as to how much you can over-speed one of these spindle motors without hurting it. Over-speeding it would allow me to drop the sprocket ratio a little bit, and maybe give me a little more torque at the cutter in high-gear. If I could drop down to 3:1 sprockets, it would also provide a better selection of sprockets to choose from. Has anybody gone this route yet?

Thanks,
    Wayne

Get you something like a GS-2 from Automation Direct (a VFD) drive. You can set your Fx of the drive from 0-120 hrtz, that will in effect give you about double the moter RPM. It can take that quite easily, further you can control the VFD from Mach 3, or any controller that puts out a 0-10v analog, or PWM.
    Doing those things and you want have to fool with your pulleys at all.

If your motor is over 3hp, you will have to go with the 3 phaze drives. I think the Drive that will run on single phaze will only go up to a 3 hp moter. BTW: the single phaze drives can run a 3 phaze motor. You don't have to "derate", the drive, if it says it will run a 2hp motor wether single or 3 phaze then it will.

Hey Poppa,
    I already have the 2HP GS2 drive, so I am in good shape. Basically, I am moving an entire Mach2 control system from a smaller machine onto the Boss. My motor is 2HP, so it should not be a problem. I will download the GS2 manual and research the settings info you provided. Thanks!!