586,119 active members*
3,478 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > could the 4th axis experts please stand up?

could the 4th axis experts please stand up?

I'd like to get a 4th axis for my mini mill. Its a DM2900 by Dyna Mechtronics, with a 10" x 7" x 10" envelope and probably 3 times that in space inside the enclosure, X and Y.

I've learned a bit about 4th axis, but not enough to start searching correctly. I'm probably not alone in this either! Seems 4th axis are very popular for home-mills and some good, solid info would be helpful to alot of people, not just me, so your words are greatly appreciated!

So the questions:

1- The mfg. of my mill originally offered what appears to be a HV6 rotary table with a stepper motor on it, as a "4th axis". I am not sure if it had a "clamp" feature or not. I notice Tormach also offers something similar for a 4th axis on their mill, i.e. a rotary table thats been motorized. How realistic is this to use for true 4th axis machining, and for CNC indexing? Does it really wear out the worm gear and how long does that take? How deep of a cut can you take at say 6" radius while rotating?

2- What is out there as far as used 4th axis, that would fit mini mills, that are not just rotary tables converted. I.e. more like a Fadal VH65? I've been looking for awhile on ebay and I've yet to see a small 4th axis that isnt a rotary table, isnt a "Stepper motor and timing belt" from China, and is small enough to fit on a mini mill bed and actually be used. (i.e. probably lunch box sized and weighs less than 40 lbs). And what makes these better than a rotary table, arent they both just worm gears with motors?

Thanks for any help!!

Re: could the 4th axis experts please stand up?

Hi what do you intend Tod cut ?