586,655 active members*
3,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 6M Encoder cable issue

I have a kitamura MyCenter 2 Verticle machining center with a 6M control that I was having a problem with the X axis, I was getting a 416 x servo alarm at start up but not all the time, sometimes it would run sometimes not. Then I couldnt clear the alarm at all so I investigated and found the amphenol connector at the servo motor for the encoder was so hot I couldnt touch it, I took it apart and found 2 burnt wires I bought a new connector and soldered it in by matching the pinouts to the y axis, when I start up now I get a lunge in the x axis and a 401 and 410 alarm. I thought I screwed something up so I switched the x with the y at the board to see if the cable is ok and the lunge followed to the y, I double checked the pinouts and my x and y and z are identical.........please help

...you might move on in the troubleshooting process by attempting to discover what burned the wires in the first place.

the wires were burnt because the connector was full of coolant and oil

Make sure parameters 124, 125, 126 are set to 0

Ok, I had to re-write this. I thought you were dealing with the armature cables as there is little current in the feedback cable to burn it out.

The control is not getting the feedback from the pulsecoder/encoder/resolver/ whatever you have connected as feedback.

Swap the feedback cables at both ends. It will never run just switching the cables at the feedback module. This should tell you if it's the cable as the Y axis won't "run away" when powered on(unless the cable is bad). If cable is bad then the Y will run away and the X will not lunge with y's cable.

If symptoms are the same(x still running away) then you will need to power up the feedback device with 5V and connect a scope to the signals:
    G1-S2
    G2-S4
    S1-S3 marker
    R1-R2 5V
    above is pulse coder.
    Rotate the motor shaft with power connected and observe the signals above. Make sure you have 5V at R1-R2 with machine on. Check with cable disconnected and connected.
    Jack of all, master of none
    Galveston, TX

Run new cables. If this doesn't work replace the drive.

Is it possible that those armature wires became reversed in polarity when you repaired the connector? If the armature polarity is reversed, you'll get an immediate "runaway" condition, where the motor moves in one direction, and the pulse coder says its moving in the opposite direction.

Please note that the X and the Y axes do not necessarilly have the same polarity, so if you just copied the pinouts from the Y axis, it may be backwards for X.