586,082 active members*
3,772 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Trying to create a mold with an STL file

Trying to create a mold with an STL file

a friend of mine is an ice sculpture, and we are trying to do some awesome stuff on his CNC in ice.

We want to take an ice block, cut it in half, and engrave a left and right side of a battleship, fill it with snow, and melt the two blocks back together.

I have an awesome model i found on the internet and have been able to import it into bobcadcam, but only as a stl. well actually as an obj, but i could import it into rhino and export an stl and it came out.

I used to use CamBam, and it had a mold setting i could use to change the model to a mold. I have not found a comparable function in BobCadCam, and the torchmate router my friend has doesn't play nice with CamBam when we try to create waterline toolpaths. we got BobCadCam to solve that problem, we have V25 btw.

So i found out that stl's don't like boolean functions, so i can't just subtract a mold, what are my other options? i thought a mold function would be in BobCad, but i guess not. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scire

Re: Trying to create a mold with an STL file

You could use BobArt and emboss from component (choose the stl) and use a subtract option....

The other thing you could do is part the model in Rhino into 2 halves then export those (if it's symmetrical, then you only need one half)

Openscad worked for me ,..

Thanks for the suggestion, i was hoping to not learn a third program to do this. I was under the impression that Bobcad CAM was supposed to be able to do this. Looks like i'm SOL and will have to figure out why cambam isn't playing well with the Routermate my friend has. I will try bobArt, i haven't messed with that at all.

Regards,

Scire

I also have bobcad but i only use the Cam ,..

Quote Originally Posted by Scire View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, i was hoping to not learn a third program to do this. I was under the impression that Bobcad CAM was supposed to be able to do this. Looks like i'm SOL and will have to figure out why cambam isn't playing well with the Routermate my friend has. I will try bobArt, i haven't messed with that at all.

Regards,

Scire
    Here is BobArt doing a battleship STL split. The STL is a solid and I did an emboss subtract from the centerline.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battleship emboss.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	248562

The underside of the surface:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battleship underside.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	248564