586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Drill Sharpeners

I am looking for people to give me their opinion on Drill Sharpeners. I just purchased a shop and no longer have the time to re-grind myself.
    I can grind with the best of them, but I need a machine that the average machinist can use to regrind his drills. I am looking for one that can give a good split, one that can grind carbide drills, and one that is fairly easy to learn how to use. I need one that will give a close replica of a new bit. We have production runs on H/T Stainless Steel here.
    Any ideas out there?
    Thank you in advance...

Re: Drill Sharpeners

IMHO you just can't get a better drill sharpener than an Oliver ...

Drill Grinders from Oliver of Adrian : Since 1913

... but your stipulation that it be able to grind carbide may be a problem.

I've never used, nor even seen, a shop grade drill sharpener that could handle a carbide drill.

Always done those by hand, but maybe with the right wheel ...

Thanks for your reply KilrB.

This sharpener will not split the point as I need them to be. I was also told that the wheel mount is not ground precise enough for wheel changes that would hold the face within .0005. I am looking for something a little better quality than this one.

Nvm. Didn't see that you wanted to grind carbide. The model I posted is not suitable for that.

I have an old Drill Dr 750 that does all that If you set it up right it will sharped drill bits better than when they are new

Does anyone have any experience with the Optima drill grinder? How difficult is it to learn? How well does it grind drill? How long does it take? Does it split very well?

Here is a link to a demo of the MegaPoint which is essentially an Optima clone:
    YouTube

If you are doing really small bits a Meteor is also good:
    Meteor MM12 Bohrerschleifmaschine - YouTube (and every bit as pricey as an Optima).

Unfortunately the vids are not in English but you will be able to follow what they are doing.

There are a couple of well equipped Optimas on eBay currently. Since it is for your business, I would avoid the ones without accessories.

bob