Does anyone have experience building a larger travel benchtop mill??
Seeing the shortcomings of all the Chinese mill drills, sloppy, sticky ways and vibration problems, I was thinking you possibly could do better building a mill. Travel range would be about 18" x 8" y 12" z. The starting point I was considering was to use approximatly 6" x 8" heavy 1/2" wall structural steel box sections for a y axis base and column. Mill flat surfaces and ends as required, Bolt the coulmn to base with a welded on, 3/4" thick column attachment plate and fit THK 30mm linear ball slides for x, y, & z axis. I have also seen a steel mill table for sale on ebay that looks really good. Other table possibilities also exist. The one thing I was thinking most about is dampening spindle and table vibrations. I was considering filling all the box sections using a plastisized mortar made out of portland cement, fine sand and acrylic or water based epoxy additive. Possibly using a head assembly that would be shop built out of similar box materials but purchasing a R8 spindle shaft as used in the small chinese benchtops. Motor will be 1 1/2 hp 180v dc variable speed. I think the basic machine can be built for a total cost of about $800 - $1200 using the slides and ball screws which I have already purchased on ebay.
Suggestions or experiences please.