586,036 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My Tormach Project (So Far)

Attachment 249152 A familure scene for many on this forum! Now that I have it squoze in the shop, what do I do now?

Attachment 249154 Had to move a few things but finally got the crate off.

Attachment 249126 All unbagged and ready for a stand. Guess I better get building one!

Attachment 249128 Got a good deal on ebay for these feet, rated at 22,000 lbs each.
    I think they will hold my little 770

Attachment 249130 Ordered a couple lengths of 3/16" 2" square tubing.

Attachment 249132 Cut the 45s on my baby band saw.

Attachment 249134 Got the top all welded up First

Attachment 249156 Welded on the mounts for the feet

Attachment 249142 Cut some 1" holes for the feet.

Attachment 249136 Got the bottom built, tacked on the angled uprights and set the top on. Ready to tack in on.

Attachment 249138 Here it is all welded up

Re: My Tormach Project (So Far)

Attachment 249158 Throw a little paint on the two ton beast.

Attachment 249160 Install the slightly oversize but very cool looking feet

Attachment 249162 Ready for a mill

Attachment 249164 Couldnt resist this pic with the mill in the background. Should be on top of the stand tomorrow.

All kinds of fun going on there.
    I like the industrial style camouflage paint on stand "different"
    md

Mountaindew I'm glad you like the paint. I have it on quite a few things. I have never thought of it as camo, but I like it "Industrial Camo".

OK, here is todays doings...

Attachment 249346 Attachment 249348 Attachment 249350
    Tie up all the hangydowns.

Attachment 249352 Build and attach the lifting bar.

Attachment 249354 Eye Bolt mounted to T slot (1/2" nut and washer slide right in). Notice the China on chain! I get a little leary, Chinese lift, Chinese chain, Chinese hooks, Chinese bolts ...

Attachment 249356 Attachment 249358 Notice the extra hole in the lifting bar. I was real close but, I think Center would have been just perfect for the 770.

Attachment 249360 All the rigging off and in place. Now I just need to learn how to use the thing!

Son in law here, made an account so i could view the full size images! Well sure looks nice, I'm interested to see how rigid your rig ends up being especially for your fine detailed work to come. Have you settled on a vice yet?

Nice work it looks good! Wish that I would have found those feet they are outstanding! I had a similar path to develop a stand when I purchased my 770. At the time my other Mill (an 1100) was being used at my other location in a different state so I ended up fabricating some of the components by firing up the 770 as it was bolted to the shipping pallet for doing some "light" work on some of my weldments. It was a grin because I had already worked with 1100 for a few years so I had that 770 making chips in a few hours from popping the top of the crate off :-). I love these machines! So you must be working without coolant and just plan on vacuuming/sweeping up the chips for now because I see no catch pan. FYI- tormach's 5" CNC vise works well with the 770 if you are looking for workholding solutions. I've heard good things about the Glacern 5" as well. I have a large Parlec 6" on my 1100 and it has been a tough cookie for a number of years...way oversized for a 770 though. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by bossman137 View Post
    Son in law here, made an account so i could view the full size images! Well sure looks nice, I'm interested to see how rigid your rig ends up being especially for your fine detailed work to come. Have you settled on a vice yet?
    Well Bossman, welcome to the Zone! As for a vice I have acquired a V block that I will mount on its side and it should hold my round stock nicely. In time I will get a vice when I start doing stuff other than my dies. However, the dies are #1 priority at the present.

Quote Originally Posted by pickled​ View Post
    Nice work it looks good! Wish that I would have found those feet they are outstanding! I had a similar path to develop a stand when I purchased my 770. At the time my other Mill (an 1100) was being used at my other location in a different state so I ended up fabricating some of the components by firing up the 770 as it was bolted to the shipping pallet for doing some "light" work on some of my weldments. It was a grin because I had already worked with 1100 for a few years so I had that 770 making chips in a few hours from popping the top of the crate off :-). I love these machines! So you must be working without coolant and just plan on vacuuming/sweeping up the chips for now because I see no catch pan. FYI- tormach's 5" CNC vise works well with the 770 if you are looking for workholding solutions. I've heard good things about the Glacern 5" as well. I have a large Parlec 6" on my 1100 and it has been a tough cookiefor a number of years...way oversized for a 770 though. Have fun!
    I love that you fired it up on the crate, that's awesome! Someday I plan to do the chip pan thing, but for now I have a pressing need to to make lots of very small chips (.004" - .025" cutters.) I use a little air to blow them off the work piece and into a vacuum tube. I have been using this method on my pantograph with good success.