3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CAM Expert

CAM Expert

Has anyone used CAM expert?
    here's a link for more info:
    http://www.ribbonsoft.com/camexpert.html
    Would some kind soul take a look and see if this will work for outputing the correct g-code and control the router.
    There's not a lot of info on google relating to users or operation of this software.
    I did email the maintainer and he responded:

(question)> Any further info or developements, such as can this proggy be used to control a cnc homemade router?

response:
    Most likely yes - you can adjust the output format individually.
    Free trial versions (60 days) are available from:
    http://www.ribbonsoft.com/camexpert_downloads.html

If you can send me a sample output file, I can tell you more
    about adjusting the format.

end quote
    thanks for the help
    jerry

Hi Jan,

I took a look at it. I think you'd be better off with Bobcad, even version 17, which is quite inexpensive.

Tool up, and tool down is important stuff, and I don't see it being really handy in Camexpert.

Also, I did not notice an offset function in Camexpert, which you would need to be able to offset from your wireframe part, by the amount of your tool radius.

I like the accel/decel feature of Camexpert, that is nifty for an inexpensive program, but is really only required for high feedrate machines.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

would this be a good g-code generator?

Considering it has no Z axis, its pretty limited. Try it out and see if it suits your needs. Check the way that it outputs arc information first, to see if the output can be configured to match your controller requirements.

Then, work out the start line, toolchange, and end lines sequences.

Then, like I said, check out how you create offset toolpaths with it, to make sure it can handle it.

The author himself says the package is not a milling software, so, depending on how you wish to use your router, this will determine if you are emulating a 2d profiler (like lasar or plasma) or a 3 axis mill.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ok, thanks for the info,I don't have any router setup to check out useage at this time, but was doing some reasearch
    again thanks
    jerry

NGrimberg Guest

Re: CAM Expert

CAM Expert is a custom board planner represent considerable authority in front boards in aluminum, plexiglass, composite board and other non-ferrous metals.