586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > High speed spindle friction fit?

High speed spindle friction fit?

I'm looking at one of those belt driven high speed spindles for 1/8th inch bits. It holds tools with just a friction fit - you can slide the bit in and out and spin it around without much effort.

The question is, how is this able to make the toolbit spin? It would seem to me that as soon as you contacted the material, the bit would stop...

Not famaliar with this spindle, do you have a link?

I can't seem to find a picture on the net that is similar. Its basically just an aluminium cylinder bored out with bearings at each and and a shaft with a pully at one end and a tool holder at the other. It takes 1/8" shaft tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodan View Post
    I'm looking at one of those belt driven high speed spindles for 1/8th inch bits. It holds tools with just a friction fit - you can slide the bit in and out and spin it around without much effort.

The question is, how is this able to make the toolbit spin? It would seem to me that as soon as you contacted the material, the bit would stop...

If you are looking at it and it isn't on the net somewhere, where is it that you are looking at it?

About the only thing I can think of that is similar to what you are describing is shrink-fit tooling. But that is a tool holder to tool coupling, not tool to spindle coupling.

Chris