586,076 active members*
3,912 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > lateral movement (4th axis -cnc router - wood)

lateral movement (4th axis -cnc router - wood)

I want to build a 4 axis cnc router to do lateral movements with the spindle (as shown in the figures below, with the cutting tool out of the line of the axis of rotation ). Not yet have a 4 axis. If I insert geometries on g-code generators softwares (Mastercam, Bobcad, etc) with holes like this in the figure below (to 4th axis), the tool need to side movements (like cutting cnc Video below). The G-code generators for 4 axes already consider the machine can move laterally or so I need to modify the machine? This type of movement is considered normal for a 4-axis machining or is it something special? Mach3 can control it?

Attachment 249860Attachment 249862

PLEASE, SEE THE VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_cixKIquS0

another example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICAtxDw31M

Sorry for the question. Generally I have seen with fourth axis cuts where the cutting tool only moves upwards and axial direction (and not radial like the figure). Then I saw this video, where the cutting tool also moves laterally.

Thank you guys so much!

Vitor Spadeto Venturin

Re: lateral movement (4th axis -cnc router - wood)

To get into areas like the inside of that handle, you'd use an indexing mode with most CAM software. It's essentially the same as a 3-axis toolpath, but you position the part with the 4th axis, hold it still while the cutting's going on, then move the 4th axis a set amount (like 180 degrees in this case) and do another cutting pass.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Yes Mach3 can handle the code. Is no different than any 4 axis "as far as Mach3 is concerned". I cut off center paths regularly.

You will need software that is able to generate the required code. I do not know of an inexpensive software that will write fluid code (cut out that crystal pitcher without stopping...). However there are some that simply index the part, as Andrew has pointed out.

Just note.. The 4th and or the 5th axis must must be strongest and they need to be very precisely... Strength -- Measure the spindle force on your further part from center of piece it could get the rotary axis out of position when entering in the piece.... Precisely -- Try to drill a hole throw half pice on futher part of radius then turn 180 and do the other half... Your error multiply by the R it goes....

¨

I found out this video, with a simulation with like my case.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw9I8Vdj7ko

Then Mach3 can work with this cutting position (cutting tool out of the line of the axis of rotation, moving laterally, looking up). So, since Mach3 can do this, just need to generate code to use with this configuration (4 axis)

Mastercam or Bobcad are g-code generators. assuming I already have my 4 axis cnc built and running with the required physical abilities (strength in engines necessary because of the momentum of the shaft because of lateral strength and precision necessary for good finish), can Mastercam or bobcad generate g-code?

If the mastercam can do that, I just say to the program I want to use this lateral movement or I select a special type of 4 axis CNC in the software?

Sorry these questions, is that not meeting these information precisely because I still does not know the technical names for such a search.

I would like to apologize for my bad English.

Thank you for understanding all. I reallly appreciate your attention!

I found out this video also (simulation with mastercam). It is a 4 axis cnc router moving laterally..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kWjhIHoJts

By this video I conclude that I can generate with Mastercam a g-code with this kind of movement. On mastercam,Is it difficult to generate such code, or is a standard procedure for a 4 axis cnc?

Can someone help me?