586,058 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > DNC Problems and Solutions > Fanuc 18i-Mb, M5 command stops spindle but "hangs" and won't complete cycle

Fanuc 18i-Mb, M5 command stops spindle but "hangs" and won't complete cycle

Sorry if this was posted else where on another forum, I searched but did not have any luck finding it.

I have a Union horizontal boring mill that has been retrofitted with a Fanuc 18i-Mb controller and a Siemens SIMOREG DC converter to control the spindle.
    Recently I have encountered a problem with the M5 command in any program causing the machine to "hang". It reads the command, stops the spindle but the cycle start light is still illuminated.
    I have to press the reset button to stop the cycle then search the program back to where I left off.
    It appears that the cycle is not completing once it reads the M5.
    I found a work around by removing the M5 from the programs and using the M00, M01 or M30 to stop the machine which seems to work.
    Now I am experiencing a problem that the spindle shuts off during any cycle mostly after the machine has been on for over 2 hours. The machine will keep feeding which is creating major problems.
    This has caused some major pain while tapping because the feed hold button is in-active during the tapping cycle. The E-STOP button is the only way to stop it but it is too late at that point.
    I have contacted the machine tool company we purchased the retrofitted machine from and all I am getting is the run around.
    Seems like they don't have anybody that is qualified to help solve the problem.
    I am fairly intelligent with the understanding of the system and how it works but am not a technician by any means.
    I was wondering if anybody has had similar experiences and could weigh in on areas to check besides the obvious (we have checked connections, feed back encoders, and other similar items).
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Fanuc 18i-Mb, M5 command stops spindle but "hangs" and won't complete cycle

Hey
    Start button light means that the M function didnt complete and it is still in proces... (waiting for some inputs from machine to complete the function)

Do u have schematics?
    Check are they using contacts Simoreg DC Output N<Nmin and N=Nist that goes into the Fanuc Input Card?? (if they are using them it might be the problem )
    The output from Simoreg DC N<Nmin is used in M5 function to tell the Fanuc that spindle speed is 0 (zero) and then the function M5 should pass.... (this could be ur problem for M5 not to pass)
    But the output from Simoreg DC N=Nist is used in M3/M4 function to tell the Fanuc that the spindle is turning at desired speed... (i dont know how did they do the plc and do they check the spindle speed during the motion or just when u did M3 or M4)

What Simoreg DC u have??
    But is there alarm on Simoreg DC when it fails?? It is a DC drive then have u checked the brushes on motor and tacho?? Does the motor get realy hot after 2 hours?? Do a eye inspection on motor....