586,103 active members*
3,888 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Slave axis slow.

I'm setting up 2 motors for my x-axis. When I slave A off of X the A axis runs slower than the X. Both motors are identical with identical drivers and mechanicals. They are both running off of the same power supply. When I move both without slaving using MDI they both run at the same speed.

I'm running Mach3 using ethernet smooth stepper.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Re: Slave axis slow.

Hi,

I'm no expert for Mach3 - but why do you want a software slave at all?
    I'd just connect both drivers to the same step / dir signal.

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

You better set one axis as X anf anothe as U axis.

Mach designates the 4, 5, and 6 axes as A, B, and C.

By having them operate off of separate drives and separate home switches allows me to square the gantry when homing. Running off of the same p/d signal is not practical either as one motor turns opposite the other.

Do you have the A axis set as angular?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The boxes are unchecked. Not set as angular.

I just tried cheating the motor tuning on the slow motor and it sent up a Bronx Cheer. No effect.

Quote Originally Posted by rbraeking View Post
    When I move both without slaving using MDI they both run at the same speed.
    Are they attached to the machine's drive components during this test, and therefore not under normal loading?

I would try swapping the motors, then swapping the drivers, to see if one set is not delivering the necessary power.
    Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Paul,

Since the drivers connect to the breakout board using RJ45 it was simple to swap x for A and A for X. Then I reversed direction of both in config>ports and pins. The problem switched sides as well so I have pretty much ruled out drivers and motors. All the mechanical connections have been made and there is no binding. Next I will move to B on the breakout board in case the A connection is bad. I'll issue a full report in about an hour.

Bob

I tried slaving off the B axis with the same result. There HAS to be something stupid that I am overlooking
    Bob

I appreciate all the help. Scott N. at Machsupport found the problem after reviewing my XML file. I had not set the frequencies the same for all axes in the ESS config. I knew it was going to be something simple that I had overlooked.

I am glad that you found the problem, but why did the MDI interface work as expected? Is this unique to the ESS interface?
    Paul Rowntree
    Vectric Gadgets, WarpDriver, StandingWave and Topo available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

Yes, Paul. The homing and slave function is operated from the Smooth Stepper plug in. Using MDI the drives were treated separately and did not have to match frequency. I also had a problem referencing using ESS after I had fixed the frequency problem. The slave did not follow the master. Evidently Warp9 fixed this problem on the latest updated plugin. I Installed the new plugin and it works fine. Next is to install a separate home switch for the slave and set it up to square on homing. Unfortunately Warp9 is in process of developing instructions. Their product/software development is way ahead of their documentation writing.

I am told that there is not a step too high for a stepper. I'm mucking through.......with help from 3 forums.

Despite my difficulties I highly recommend the Ethernet Smooth Stepper. It can buffer up to 3 seconds of data coming from the computer which helps with the "idiotsyncracies" of windows. I am running an old, given to me, Dell desktop and it performs tremendously better with the smooth stepper. Also I have twice the I/O's as the smooth stepper emulates 2 parallel cables simultaneously with a third for future expansion. Warp9 is still in beta as far as I'm concerned but it reminds one of the older versions of V-Carve. Fortunately improvements are just a matter of downloading the latest plugin.

Bob

Hi Bob,
    I have the same problem as you had. I had installed ESS and followed through instruction but no luck. I still have problem slave axis slow. How did you set ESS freq and setting slave axis? I use CNCRP and camtronics 5 axis controller. Please let me know how did you do it right.

Thanks.

asuratman,
    check your settings. in Mach3 click PlugIn Control/ESS config and check the frequency settings. All frequencies should be set the same. See response #11 in this thread.
    Bob

Thanks Bob,
    Tomorrow I will set all freq the same. This morning I set different value but freq on A axis and Y axis is always the same. So all freq means X, Y, Z, A, B and C all the same. How much is that? 32 or 64, 128, or 256 khz. Thanks. Aristo

I was working on that machine a couple of years ago so I don't remember the frequency I had set. Just make sure they are all the same. I normally go with the slowest that will work. If your steppers are moving at 4000 pulses per inch and 1000 inches per minute then you would need to produce at least 66,666.66... pulses per second.

How do I know how many pulses per inch the steppers are moving? There are some choice of frequency from 32, 64, 128, 256, 512. Can we enter the number manually?

When you do your motor setup in Mach3 you will set pulses per inch or pulses per millimeter whichever the case may be. Mach can set this for you if you use the button just above the reset button on the settings screen. Your mechanical drive system along with your micro stepping settings on your motor drivers will all affect the ppi setting. The problem can be solved mathematically or Mach3 can do it for you. Basically choose the axis you want to calibrate, enter how far you want it to move, then enter the actual distance of movement. Mach will set ppi in you motor settings. Once I get it close I do a full distance axis calibration to dial it in to the most accurate setting.

That brings to mind other areas which may be giving you trouble.
    1. Is each stepper mounted securely with no mechanical slippage? Loose set screw? Loose belt?
    2. Are both stepper motor drivers set identically?

Thanks for your post, I will try what you do soon. I will write here what happen.

Page 1 of 2 12