586,082 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak quickTurn 10N, battery location

Hello all,

I am getting the "23 NMI Battery Alarm". In the past I would only see this if the machine had been down for quite a long while, like when the spindle was away getting rebuilt. But it always charged back up and never lost the programs or parameters. But now it does not seem to want to charge no matter how long the machine is powered up. Before it completely dies and dumps the parameters, it would be prudent to replace it. As far as I know it is the original 1988 battery! Trouble is, I cannot find the darn thing. I cannot find any mention of the battery in the maintenance book, either location or replacement procedure. Nor in the electric schematics book. I had a look through the electrical cabinet and have yet to find anything that looks like a battery or battery pack. Most recently I pulled the cover off the CPU and have been looking behind that, but unless it is buried towards the back edge of a board (and I do not want to be hasty pulling those out unless I am sure) I cannot see it.

Can anyone tell me where it is located?

Specs:
    Mazak QuickTurn 10N
    T3 Mazatrol controller (live milling)
    16 station tool belt.

Thanks,
    Doug

Re: Mazak quickTurn 10N, battery location

The battery pack is on the FX84A board. (T2 is the same hardware as M2 so board number should be the same) You can purchase the battery pack from Mitsubishi Electric. Get the changing procedure from Mits. You cannot just take out the old and put in the new battery. If I find the procedure in my files I will post it later.

Thanks for that. I located an FX884/(784-8) board in the CPU rack, the closest numerical match I could find. Using a flashlight and a mirror I see something that could be cluster of tablet batteries in a blue shrink wrap along the bottom edge, part way back on the card. Unfortunately to get at it to read the model number, or replace it, looks like a card removal operation. I did back the parameters up to the CMT (Mazak Microdisk) unit, but hopefully the procedure covers how to replace the battery without losing the parameters. I would rather not take a chance reloading them and have something go wrong, if it could be avoided. But it is there if I need it. I suppose I will get on to Mazak or Mitsubishi on Monday to try and track down the battery model number, and that installation procedure. Thanks again,

-Doug

I contacted Mitsubishi Electric with the equipment specs and asked for the battery model and replacement procedure. They replied if I read the battery number printed on the face of the battery they could look it up. Gee, if I could read the battery number I wouldn't need it looked up! But then I realized they were not trying to be sarcastic and the part number has likely changed several times in the intervening twenty-six years. They did mention that there is an on-board capacitor they will keep the power up for about ten minutes while the battery is being replaced.

The original battery is a GS SAFT, model number GB150H-3F, 3.6v, 150mAh. NiCad. the current Mitsubishi part number is C0307-1 which is a Ni-MH and 200mAh. These seem readily available all over the Web, prices from $10 to $60. So some batteries are ordered and we shall see. I understand the the charging parameters for a Lithium ion battery are different, but the NiCad and the Ni-HM are reasonably close.

-Doug