586,655 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > I'm Considering a Centurion 1

I'm Considering a Centurion 1

Guys, I've found a Milltronics Centurion 1 on a Seiki 4VS for sale. I'm not familiar with Milltronics, but it looks easy to use. The machine has box ways and is in great shape. It is a 1998 model.

What problems are common with these? Are they reliable?

Also, it has a floppy drive and a RS232 port. How could I convert it to use USB flash drive?

Thanks in advance.
    Rob
    Ohio

Is it this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SEIKI-4VS-3-Axis...QQcmdZViewItem

Edit: deleted comments

Yes. What do you know about it?

This looks like a decent deal on the surface. The head is the weakest link IMHO. These are light duty mills, but fit the tooling and R&D perfectly. OK for light production. A local pickup would make it even better.

I would inquire the seller and Milltronics as to its origins. If it was retrofit direct from Milltronics, they should support it. If there is no S/N that they can reference, it may be tough if not impossible to get control parts or direct support.

DC

Milltronics did make it. You're right, they do support it. It is a Centurion 6, not a Cen.1 as I stated.
    These are light duty mills, but fit the tooling and R&D perfectly. OK for light production.
    I agree. Fortunately, I'm only concerned with running aluminum.

A friend has one in his toolshop. He's used his for 45 hours per week for eight years. He's had only one problem, the screen needed to be replaced.

I have 4 milltronics VMCs. 3 of them have a "new" computer monitor. I don't know if this is a standard for these machines or not.

They want too much money for the machine. A 30 taper isn't much better
    than a R-8 spindle taper.

I'm on my second monitor and it's starting to have problems. I can't say why
    but the Milltronics CRT's fail. I have the exact same CRT on my Brother Mill
    and it keeps going and going, never flickers or zits.

We have 7 Milltronics and I'll bet I have replaced most of the monitors at least once in the last couple years. We have 5 of the above posted version and 2 of the Partner VMC's. I have always been suspicious there is too much heat buildup in the monitor cabinet. Honeslty though, the screens replaced were around 6years old running 2-3 shifts. I think the lone B/W left is going on 11 or 12 years now still kicking along.

When we upgraded the office PC's 14" monitors several years ago. I saved several for backups on the Milltronics. Ripped the cases off of them and rigged them to fit up nicely. Most of the originals were B/W so switching to color was a bonus. It has beed a couple more years now without much monitor issues.

I am suprised to hear that Milltronics would put their control on iron without the Milltronics logo. Probably the same iron anyways. I am not sure what the gain would be in the Centruion 6 on these machines. Other than current sources for replacement parts. These may also be able to utilize a VFD for programmable spindle speeds. Other than that, I figure they wouldn't be that much different than a Centurion I or II in daily use.

So, I take it the Ebay link was not the specific machine you have your eye on? The seller did end it early!

I hope to have a VK3 in my home shop by October-November. It is in the works and as the saying goes "a done deal".......unless something changes unforeseen between now and then. I may have a hard time letting go of my EZ-Trak, but the VK has so much more to offer.

I wonder if the wife would let me keep both for fun stuff R&R. After all, twice the fun, right?:banana:

REALITY CHECK!(chair)

DC

We still have a 10 year old Partner 1 Centurion 5 with the original monitor. Our VM 24 has an LCD Monitor with a Centurion 6 that still looks like new. I'll take the Centurion 6 over the Centurion 5 any day. The 6 is much, much faster, especially doing 3D.

Sounds like the ebay item was bought by TZ250?

If all you're going to cut is aluminum, then I wouldn't be looking at a knee mills. Get something that is enclosed with flood coolant and high RPM. Our old Partner 1 is small and enclosed with 6,000 RPM and it's not fast enough. I know coolant is a pain, but can't imagine cutting without it. Been there, done that, never again. Carbide + Coolant on aluminum and you'll never (well almost never) have to buy cutters again.