586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Recommendations for milling thick aluminium

What would people recommend as a minimum for milling out 1/2" thick aluminium parts? Stepper power, leadscrew size/pitch, and router power?

I'm looking at getting some 1/2-10 leadscrews and I can get between 127oz/inch and 500 oz/inch motors. Several of the routers that people have recommended are available locally as well. I just don't want to get 500oz/inch motors with a 1/2-10 leadscrew only to discover that the motors are too powerful and the leadscrew too wimpy!

P.S. the leadscrews are ACME with delrin nuts, though I do also have a 20mm ballscrew with 5mm pitch (slightly over 0.001" movement per full step w/1.8deg motors)

for the most part it depends upon rigidity of your system , spindle torque etc 1/2 lead screws are wimpy , i would suggest 3/4-6 acme , less flex and less tpi

I should add that the cutting area will be quite small - about 22" by 12".

i live on the beleaf that anything can be cut on most anything , it s all how you approach it

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    i live on the beleaf that anything can be cut on most anything , it s all how you approach it
    Lol. ok, I'll try for thicker leadscrews.

Say, I see you're a Canuck too - have you found any online CNC sources (steppers, bearings, etc) here in Canuckleland? I've been googling but can't seem to find anthing

with your small travels, 1/2" leadscrews should be fine. it's over the long lengths that they become wimpy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhodan View Post
    Lol. ok, I'll try for thicker leadscrews.

Say, I see you're a Canuck too - have you found any online CNC sources (steppers, bearings, etc) here in Canuckleland? I've been googling but can't seem to find anthing

steppers power ebay ,
    leadscrews fastenal
    misc my favourite Princess auto