586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > IGF feed rate in milling

IGF feed rate in milling

Hi guys

I'm not that much used to working with IGF and I can't find a way to control the feed rate in contour roughing as I'd like to for example slow down in corners, radius etc. Is this possible at all or it's only controllable in contour finishing?
    It would be handy if anyone knows sth.
    Thanks

Re: IGF feed rate in milling

1. You can choose the next of technology sets at the very start of beginning the part description on IGF
    2. You can describe your own selectable technology set on IGF. It's actually advantage of IGF - You can concentrate on part shape description, You don't need to input each time the same values for the same tool for the same material.
    3. You can edit the shapes and all the relevant data after IGF program is ready on IGF
    4. You can edit the GM code text: the *.min part program, generated by IGF

Thanks for your reply Algirdas.
    I was actually wandering if there is a way to select different feed for different segments of the contour of one and same operation. Lets say my contour consist of face, circle and long forms in the XY plane and are repeated in Z depth for many times which makes it not practical to edit the feed in .min program once converted.
    Is there a way for changing the feed in rough contour milling for only the circle part of the contour? It could be changed easily in the finishing operation by selecting a different feed out of the ones the user can preset, but in roughing it's only one choice you can make...

1. IGF strategies. You can define set of values for face, for cylinder and so on.
    2. Manual edit of the shape fragment (contour segment) on the IGF.
    which makes it not practical to edit the feed in .min program
    of course. You set the cutting conditions in IGF strategies definitions and these will be applied automatically..

Quote Originally Posted by gunda View Post
    I can't find a way to control the feed rate in contour roughing as I'd like to for example slow down in corners, radius etc. Is this possible at all or it's only controllable in contour finishing?
    Hey Al,,, just answer his question

NO
    - the feedrate is set when defining the tool, the tool & feedrate is applied to the entire contour

You would need to manually edit the program after posting it from IGF

just to add a little bit.
    the entire contour
    is defined by a human. Even the straight line from point A to point B can be described as two or three segments with different cutting conditions.
    IGF allows to edit every contour segment after the program is completed just before converting it to a GM code. You can change cutting conditions manually in IGF. You can delete some program segments as tool retraction to change point and so on.

That's the thing I am willing to get Algirdas, having different cutting conditions on different segments of the contour, but Superman just confirmed what I also discovered myself, that in rough milling (unlike in tourning) it doesn't let you conrol anyhown the feed for each separate segment.
    Yes, man can edit whatever he wishes when .min program is created. However the place where I work most people use IGF to program and run the program from it, which I don't like because it limits me to it's own strategies...

There are lot of IGF versions and maybe there are some differences but not like that. Just think about it. Are You telling me, that the feederate is defined by IGF god and not allowed to change? No logic. You can change the cutting condition as You wish.
    Is there limitation of shape definition? You can stop Your contour definition at any moment and You can continue from that point forward. IGF is made for human to make programming easier, and this target is achieved.

No, what I say is that once you select the feedrate in rough milling it is for the whole contour, it is not possible to use differentfeedrate just for a particular segment of the contour, unless you create and edit the .min program

Quote Originally Posted by gunda View Post
    it is not possible to use differentfeedrate just for a particular segment of the contour, unless you create and edit the .min program
    There is another ( long winded, $hitty ) way that Al is trying to get across, you will dis-regard it after reading it
    - create 2 tools with different feedrates, and then apply the correct tool to a partially drawn contour,
    - ie. #1 tool(fast feed) does the straight bits, #2 tool would need to overlap the straight ends to do the corners
    --- the trick is to do it in the correct sequence with the correct tool, and not have cut depths be a major hindrance

this is the only method I can recommend
    - ie a large shape.... you may wish for #1 tool to rough a shape with larger inside corner radii drawn, then have #2 tool come in and rough out just the corners, then do a finish path
    ---each of these requires different geometry