586,112 active members*
3,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

My dirt cheap torch table

I finally got some pics together of my cheapo cnc oxyfuel table. Be forwarned, there is nothing special about my table. It is of the simplest design I could come up with, I have a total of 550 bucks in it. I am going to build another Y axis piece, so I will have Zaxis eventually. I use this to build chassis and suspension pieces, so I was in a bit of a hurry to get it together. She aint gonna win any beauty pageants, but I get consistent parts, rapids upwards of 300 IPM ( useful when a plasma is attached), and NO MORE HAND TORCHING. I will probably use this machine to build the parts for my next table, but it works for now. I am running
    Software:
    Deltacad for drawing freebie
    Quickstep3 for controller software 55 bucks

Breakout board
    Hubbardcnc off Ebay, has built in relays for torch 55 bucks

Motors and drives
    Gecko 201 (had Hobbycnc, saving them for something else, though they did work)on X and Y 105 ea x2
    Keling Inc 425 ozin parallel bipolar motor dual driving X 45 bucks
    Powermax II 200 ozin parallel bipolar driving Y 25 bucks

Linear motion is provided by
    www.vxb.com bearings, bought 32 cheapies for about 10 bucks
    www.surpluscenter.com all the roller chain, sprockets, idler sprockets, etc. 100 bucks

Ebay power supply. 15 bucks

Ebay machine torch 50 bucks.

all the metal was courtesy of my shop neighbor, who is a metal recycler.
    The only other thing that put me over 550 bucks was my flea market computer, 15 bucks.
    Again, I know she aint much to look at, but I stay too busy to put too much time into building it exactly how I wanted it. I am trying to get everything running perfect in Quickstep3, so I can post up some parts.

I am really just posting this up to show everyone that you don't have to have a huge budget to build a working machine. Paint will probably never touch it, I don't even have a great slat support system. But, again, it cuts the same part everytime, exactly like I drew it. Slag is minimal, as I am getting heat, tip size, and travel speed learned little by little. Hope some one enjoys it as much as I do.
    It must be noted that the arc'd cut shown was the result of the preheat and flame pics shown, the kerf is about .07. Only problem was, I ran out of oxygen while cutting. You can see that in the piercing pic.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

Thats a really nice low budget torch table.

Thank you. It doesn't take my breath away when I look at it, but, hey, I can't complain!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

-RedGreen show.

Very Ingenious!

Quote Originally Posted by massajamesb View Post
    I finally got some pics together of my cheapo cnc oxyfuel table. It is of the simplest design I could come up with,
    Great project Massajamesb.
    Congratulations, all of your study has paid off for you.
    Thanks for sharing the photos & build details!

Nice job Massajamesb and thanks for sharing pictures.

Beetman05

Thank you Beetman. Your table is was the deciding factor in going with roller chain, and I will say that the end result was quite satisfactory. Although, I will have to say, I hope to build one as nice looking as yours next. I may still "pretty" mine up as I go along, but right now my time is slim, so a chance to build a plasma table as nice as yours is off in the distance . I am happy to say that my table has been running 4-5 hours a day with no problems, other than I still need to build a better slat support system. I appreciate all the help other Zone members have given, as it has all been instrumental in the planning and assembly of my project.

-RedGreen show.

Here is an update on the machine. I can't leave well enough alone, so I took all the chain off and went with timing belt and pulley, and then gear rack and spur gear. I have also built a Z axis, but it is not on the machine yet. Here are a couple videos of the machine running a part file.
    No, it is not pretty yet. Although, the one I am building at the moment is.....

now I just gotta put that new Thermal Dynamics torch on!

-RedGreen show.

Arrow Nice Moves

Here is an update on the machine. Here are a couple videos of the machine running a part file.
    You are "moving" right along with the machine modifications.
    In the video doing the tracing, is the pen floating, or spring loaded, or in a fixed Z position?

Congrats on the new moderator position. :cheers:

Is there a source for that great new avatar? It looks great!

:wave:
    Quote Originally Posted by Weldtutor View Post
    You are "moving" right along with the machine modifications.
    In the video doing the tracing, is the pen floating, or spring loaded, or in a fixed Z position?

Congrats on the new moderator position. :cheers:

Is there a source for that great new avatar? It looks great!
    Thanks Weldtutor. I have you to thank, along with several others for the knowledge I have gained.
    I am building a Z and should have it on quickly.

Now if I could just figure out what I am supposed to moderate.....
    If you want, just right click on the avatar, save to computer. Freebie.

-RedGreen show.

I bumped into the pics when I saw your thread at the top of the page. You didn't tell me they were up! Since 9-06! Welcome to the dirt cheap oxy/fuel torch table club (I think we are in a small one). I use mine as much as I can. (sometimes I just think of things to do with it) .
    For those who don't remember mine:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6923
    Enjoy dirt cheap oxy/fuel torch table-ing
    MIKE

yeah, I have some chassis tabs I cut in my profile.
    Thanks for your help along the way, I still envy your machine!
    The dirt cheap club is small, but as this hobby grows, so will the club.
    Thanks again, Mike.
    Happy holidays!

-RedGreen show.

I look at this in (rude comments removed) unlimited admiration for your ability to get that thing to cut. Oh man I'm laughing. Good job.

Thanks, I think?
    It looks completely different now, thank God. I had to clean it up a little to prevent getting tetanus.
    I am building a much nicer and larger machine now. I know it's nothing special,even now, compared to some who have an unlimited budget or a industrial size machine, or both.
    Glad I could give you a laugh, Dale.

-RedGreen show.

If it's cheap, it's for me. Even better if it's free!!!!!
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Here is a set of brackets I burned the other day, the hole is 2" in diameter, and the plate is 1/2" thick. I dipped them in my muriatic acid tank, and then accidentally left them outside uncovered, so I started grinding the resulting rust off. I took a pic right before I got done grinding.
    Attachment 29571

I sold my "john holmes" style oxyfuel machine torch to a fellow Zone member,
    I sold the oxyfuel torch because I picked up another plasma, this one specifically for this machine (Cutmaster 50). Not three weeks went by before I needed to burn some thick plate cleanly, Live and learn, I guess.

Here is a peek at what is to come so I can quit using my plasma hand torch!

Attachment 29573

The Z axis is ready to go, just waiting on a driver board to come in.
    Hopefully the "Candcnc fairy" (can I say that jokingly? Sorry, Tom) will be depositing a ATHC under my pillow in a couple weeks, with OOPS (UPS ) delivery service bringing the new Dell loaded with Xp right after that.

I got Les at Sheetcam to write me a post for Quickstep, so that makes life so much better. I like the combo so much, I might just leave it alone.
    I also went ahead and picked up the "Pulsepacer" for Quickstep.
    For anyone considering it, buy it. It is worth it, period.
    All the more reason to put the ATHC and new Dell on the new machine I am building, and load it with Mach!

More to come.

-RedGreen show.

My setup originally was chain driven, it is now rack and pinion with timing belts and pulley for gear reduction. I just don't like spending money I don't have to, and I built my table on a strict budget. My table looks nothing like my old pics on here, it is completely different now.
    Pics???

old or new?

-RedGreen show.

New please!

I'd like to see pics of your updated drive system in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrotechnical View Post
    New please!

I'd like to see pics of your updated drive system in particular.
    Umm... Ok. I don't have any of the machine with the new carriage on it, but I have some from when I switched to rack drive and timing belt reduction.
    My camera is not the greatest, but here you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0019_edited.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	29707

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017_edited.jpg 
Views:	533 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	29708
    The table usually has all the slats in place for the cutting bed, but I had to remove a few for some other work I was doing. These pics are actually a few weeks old, at least. I didn't even know I had them until the other day.
    Again, the carriage is different that that. My cheesy oxyfuel torch holder is gone, and in its' place is a Z axis for plasma, so what you see in this picture is a bit misleading.
    I have some video of it running just like this somewhere in the 200-250 IPM range, but it wont upload here, pm me if you want the video. It is nothing special, just running a dry part verification really fast.

Is this what you were looking for? I can take some better pics after all this ice down here thaws, allowing me to get to the shop.

-RedGreen show.

Those are good enough to give me the general idea, thanks.

Where'd you source the rack hardware, and how much did it run? In your "Dirt cheap" thread there was a breakdown of roughly what the original version cost.

I like the dirt cheap approach as a way of learning what works and what doesn't without spending big bucks, or starting such a big/expensive project that it doesn't get finished.

Page 1 of 3 123