586,076 active members*
3,963 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Suggestions for cnc table height

Wondering if some of you could share your cutting surface height on your cnc machines?

I just finished bolting together the main frame for my 8020 cnc, and it feels a bit high at 40". My last smaller machine was also pretty high, but the cutting envelope wasn't that big so everything was within reach.

The frame is 48"x72".

Attachment 251186

Re: Suggestions for cnc table height

My preference is somewhere near table saw height, which is around 34" I think.
    Higher makes it a bit harder to load, and lower makes it harder on the back when loading heavy items.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I also have mine at 34 inches to match my table saw with the intent to us my CRP 4848 table surface as run out if needed.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    CRP-4848 CNC Router, CNC G0463 (Sieg X3) Mill, 9"x20" HF CNC Lathe (current project)

34" is a good reference point, however the comfort 'zone' varies from one individual to another simply because we are not all the same height. I have my work bench and router table height at 38" because this is where I'm comfortable working at, I'm a tall guy. I just provide step stools for my buddies if they need to see what's going on.

Simply put, set the table height to a point that you are comfortable with there isn't a single 'magic' number.

I made mine at 40". It is a 50x50 machine and I am 6'. I have wished many times it was about 4-6" lower. Easier to load material, reach center, sit at it while working, etc. etc. I would take a sheet of plywood or something and play with different heights on sawhorses orsomething. Find the one that is comfortable for you and build to that.

Steven
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

One of the suggestions I've seen for machine height is to hold your arms straight down, and bend one at the elbow. The height from the floor to your bent elbow is supposed to be a comfortable range to work with.

Mark

thanks all... think i'm going to drop it a few inches.

I placed my table at 38 inches, I think it ended up at 38.5 with leveling of the table. But I am also just over 6 feet tall and i find it to be really comfortable to work at, but a tiny bit far to reach the center. I think it really is tasters choice. And if I did it again I might lower it about 1 inch. If you can do it try playing around with a sheet of plywood as suggested and try different heights.