586,089 active members*
3,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB-15 Spindle problem

LB-15 Spindle problem

My problem started with the machine not wanting to start and giving 2001 error operational panel. The problem was intermittent. So the last time I got it to come up I decided to just leave it on until I finished the job it was running. This was working fine until the power went out. Then it wouldn't come back up. I replaced the operation panel but did not fix the problem. I replaced the CRP board and the cleared the error and it boots up. But now the spindle has a strange problem. If I MDI M3 S2000 it starts normally and seems to be ok. If I MDI M3 S1000 it runs counterclockwise. If I MDI M3 S2000 and start it and then start turning the override knob down, when it gets below 1000 RPM it stops and starts turning counterclockwise. Then the further I turn it down the faster it runs going counterclockwise. If I turn it back up it switches to clockwise again. Does anyone know what is causing this. The spindle had no problems before this. I don't know if there was some kind of power spike when the power went out or what.

Dave

Re: LB-15 Spindle problem

Need to check if the sin and cosine signals are corerct. Maybe just cleaning of spindle crown is enough, maybe cleareance must be re-adjusted.

Couple of questions: which control do you have (5000l, 5000L-G, 5020L)? What spindle drive do you have? Depending on the version, the command signal is generated from different boards, so once I know what you have, we can look at those boards as a possibility. However, I'm still wondering about your panel/CRP setup - I assume you matched all the jumper settings on the new CRP board to the original one; what is the 1911-xxxx part number on the CRP board? Have you gone into check data to look at the panel inputs to see if the spindle override knob is working properly and other functions as well?

The control is 5000L-G. It is a Fanuc spindle drive A20B-0009-0532. Yes I checked all the jumpers and they are the same. The number on the new board is 1911-164 0167A. I don't know how to check the inputs to see if the override is working properly.

1) On the older Okuma lathes with the Fanuc drive, the command signal is generated on the SVP IID board or (if yours is even older than that), the TB0 board (which was used in conjunction with an earlier version of the SVPIID board; you don't have to swap the SVP board in the rack if you have a TB0 board). The standard system utilized an optical encoder for motor feedback and a pulse generator for spindle speed/position feedback. Just to rule them out, you might want to first try swapping the SVP IID or TB0 board, whichever you have in your control rack. Just make sure that you match jumper settings and (in the case of the SVPIID board), you swap the software chips as well.

2) To check inputs, you go to check data and then flip through the screens until you get to the proper screen (as noted at the top of the screen). For instance, to check the override, you go to the screen(s) that have "panel inputs" at the top, and then (even if you don't know which bits to look at), you can move the override knob and watch the bits change (highlighted bits are on, un-highlighted bits are off). Usually there will be a few of them, typically labeled something like OVR1, OVR, etc.4 or SOV1, SOV2, etc. - something where the acronym is related to "spindle override". If nothing changes on the screen you are on when rotating the override dial, then switch to the next panel input screen and go from there. Note: some of the older Okumas weren't laid out the best - you may have pages where they aren't labeled (so you would have to start on the first page and go through one page at a time until you noticed the bits changing), or even bits that don't have acronyms at all - just highlighted boxes or nothing depending if they are on or not. You can also check inputs from the panel such as spindle CW, spindle CCW, and stuff like that. "Spindle CW" might be "SPCW" and "Spindle CCW" might be "SCCW" - the electrical schematic will usually tell you.