586,385 active members*
3,384 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Might seem silly but I need a lock nut!

it's an oddball size and I really don't want to buy 100 of them for $40+ SH I only need 1, maybe a couple just in case.

10-32 thread
    5/16th width

Story:
    I am modifying a servo for an encoder and in the process of moving parts around one of these lil buggers went flying, I searched high and low and it's nowhere to be found. unfortunately this holds the back half of the motor on and the bearing resides in that section of the housing.

Re: Might seem silly but I need a lock nut!

If you only need one (or a few extra for the haystack), why not by a standard nut at the hardware store and grind or file to locknut thickness. Or turn on a lathe with nut(s) locked down on all-thread and face one nut to thickness. Or chuck up in a drill and use a Dremel and cut-off disk as a mini-lathe, cut and face to thickness.

I hope you find your nuts:stickpoke:stickpoke

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    If you only need one (or a few extra for the haystack), why not by a standard nut at the hardware store and grind or file to locknut thickness. Or turn on a lathe with nut(s) locked down on all-thread and face one nut to thickness. Or chuck up in a drill and use a Dremel and cut-off disk as a mini-lathe, cut and face to thickness.

I hope you find your nuts:stickpoke:stickpoke
    I thought about doing that however with a locknut according to my measurements I would wind up cutting into the nylon collar

Misunderstood, for whatever reason I thought you were dealing with a jam nut. Now I get your real dilemma, a nylon or all metal aero-lock type lock nut. I'm guessing your worried about how flat you could cut the inner face, and retain enough threads.

So this changes my advice, 1) anybody out there, brother can you spare an odd-ball nut? (lock-nut that is).

And until somewhere comes to your rescue, bear with me, but I will try to help you find the needle in the haystack. Take a similar size and weight nut as your missing one and drop it from the general vicinity the actual nut went missing but watch it closely where it goes and carefully search within this area. Usually one drop will get you there, but a 2nd or 3rd time if no luck on 1st attempt.

Also, if it landed on the floor, I know it is tiny, but using a flashlight or drop-lamp cast a light across the floor, so the beam is parallel or tangential to the floor and look for the shadow rather than the object.

And last but not least, perhaps a plea to anyone and everone else who just needs one or two, how's about a group buy? (not really serious on this one) Good Luck.

yea I have since cleaned the entire room in search. I found a manufacturer, but who knows what they will charge after shipping. Pretty sad but even Fastenal doesn't carry it. I ponder if 3 bolts will be secure enough. I may just have to double nut it with some small pattern nuts.

You can use a small punch and deform the last few threads of a regular nut.
    Or put a regular nut in a vise, and turn it into a slight oval.
    Or use a lock washer.
    Or locktite.

Locktites better than nylock nuts any day of the week!
    When you remove a nylock nut, its recomended to replace the nut apon reassembling anyway.
    Just be shur the loctite, or any liquid thread locker you use is the " removable" variety.

Jake Parker
    Jake Parker

You can buy 10-32 unf nuts on ebay or any other online store for pennies, or better still go to your local engineers merchant

Quote Originally Posted by ianglover View Post
    You can buy 10-32 unf nuts on ebay or any other online store for pennies, or better still go to your local engineers merchant
    normally I goto Fastenal for these things but they do not carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by dracozny View Post
    normally I goto Fastenal for these things but they do not carry them.
    Dracozny,

Maybe this will work for your application:

https://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/37176

You can't go wrong for six cents.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

wrong size. wrench size I need is 5/16" not 3/8" I couldn't find any that size on Ebay, basically broke down and ordered the SP nuts and will buy some more loctite. only place I have found that had the size I needed was on some T6 website but they were selling them by the hundreds for $46 +SH.

Could you go with a smaller width?
    McMaster-Carr has this one in a pack of 5 for $5.11 (McMaster-Carr)
    Or this one in a pack of 1 for $2.58 (McMaster-Carr)

They are not nylocks, but they are lock nuts. The have a width of 1/4" with a flange on the bottom for added clamping strength with a diameter of .33". You should be able to turn the flange down smaller without hurting the threads if you need to. Some loctite on the threads couldn't hurt either.

-David

Dracozny,

I wonder if milling .015 to.030 off each flat would compromise the working integrity of the locknut I suggested.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by dfaszer View Post
    Could you go with a smaller width?
    McMaster-Carr has this one in a pack of 5 for $5.11 (McMaster-Carr)
    Or this one in a pack of 1 for $2.58 (McMaster-Carr)

They are not nylocks, but they are lock nuts. The have a width of 1/4" with a flange on the bottom for added clamping strength with a diameter of .33". You should be able to turn the flange down smaller without hurting the threads if you need to. Some loctite on the threads couldn't hurt either.

-David
    pricing of those nuts is nuts. mcmaster has a nice selection on a wide range of products but their pricing gets ridiculous at times.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Dracozny,

I wonder if milling .015 to.030 off each flat would compromise the working integrity of the locknut I suggested.

Jeff...
    Earlier in the thread we discussed that option but from my measurements on the ones I have on hand the crimp holding the nylon would be compromised.

Regardless I have already purchased the Small Pattern nuts and will use blue loctite to secure them.