586,069 active members*
3,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Power distribution for electronics enclosure

Power distribution for electronics enclosure

Alright so I have a g540 powered by a 350w, 48v, 7.8a power supply. I have a 400w brushless spindle powered by a 450w, 48v, 9.4a power supply. Everything is wired up and works. Now I'm looking to cram all of this in some form of enclosure. Right now i have individual power cables going going to each of the power supplies but I'd like to only have one power cable going to my enclosure. So my question is what is the best way to distribute power coming from one cable once it's inside the enclosure? The best I can come up with is to stick a small power strip inside and just plug everything in to that but I know there has to be a better way. So what is it? What's the most efficient way to distribute power to each of the supplies? Also, I'd like to get some fans in there to keep things cool so I'm thinking of adding a 12v power supply as well. How should I tackle this?

Re: Power distribution for electronics enclosure

Power strip or connector blocks work.

I would use 115V fan like this one, ARCTIC KEST-471BT

What kind of connector blocks? Is there a benefit to using 115v fans instead a typical 12v pc fan?

You could use something like this 2-1546306-1 TE Connectivity | 2-1546306-1-ND | DigiKey. Jumper the number of poles/screws you need to each power line.

The 115V fan do not need a power supply.

Best way is a main disconnect in an enclosure, from there a main fuse, 2 for 1ph 240 or 1 if 120v 1ph.
    From there a fuse distribution for each power unit and motor power, all hard wired, no plug-ins.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I guess that makes sense about the fans. Thanks for the links.. especially the first one. That site is pretty sweet... they have an articulated sasquatch doll lol!!

Al, what is a main disconnect? and are you saying it should be encapsulated in it's own enclosure? Sorry, I'm lost when it comes to this stuff.. any chance you can point me to some pictures that show what you're describing? or a diagram or something? Where in the circuit would the fuses go? between the main and each power supply? I have an IEC entry terminal with a fused switch. It's a slow blow 15amp fuse. Oh and I'm on standard US 120v.

This is the receptacle I have..

IEC-GS-1-100: IEC Male AC Power Inlet Receptacle Fused Inlet with Switch: Adam Tech

In the case of a 120v 1ph only, a main disconnect could be simply a 15 to 30amp switch mounted on the enclosure and take this to a suitable fuse for the whole cabinet, then split off to the various independent fuses for each powered unit.
    Also when hard wiring a panel in this way, it is easier to wire emergency stop circuits etc.
    Here is a wiring example from NFPA79, it is a little more than you need due to the 3phase and 1ph circuits, but the same principle applies when using just 120v 1ph.
    Al.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ControlExample2.pdf  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.