586,106 active members*
3,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: light saber

light saber

Can I turn and center drill a piece of 1-1/2 in. by 12 in. aluminum on a 7x 12 min-lathe?
    I am trying to make light saber hilts for a fain film I am helping with and I don’t have a lot of room in my shop for a big lathe so I need to know if this will do the fob or not.
    I was looking at the Cummins 7x12 and would appreciate any info you have.

I might be possibly, but it would be close.

I've turned down similar lengths on my 7x12. I think I would have done better on a 9x20 or larger.

Because of the length. I wasn't able to use the deadcenter from the tailstock.

I used the steadyrest and took light cuts. If you take heavy cuts, you run the risk of pushing the work out of the chuck. If you really tighten the work, you run the risk of marring the surface or distorting it. Although, I think you'd have to really put the muscle on it to distort the 1.5".

I'm really not sure how much turning you'd actually need to do on the lightsaber though. I've looked at making them before. You should be able to use a tube stock, with the correct dimensions.

i.e.
    # 1.5" OD x 0.035" WALL x 1.43" ID 6061 T6 TUBE
    # 1.5" OD x 0.058" WALL x 1.384" ID 6061 T6 TUBE
    # 1.5" OD x 0.065" WALL x 1.37" ID 6061 T6 TUBE
    # 1.5" OD x 0.083" WALL x 1.334" ID 6061 T6 TUBE
    # 1.5" OD x 0.125" WALL x 1.25" ID 6061 T6 TUBE
    # 1.5" OD x 0.25" WALL x 1" ID 6061 T6 TUBE
    # 1.5" OD x 0.375" WALL x 0.75" ID 6061 TUBE

So, if you can get something close to what your looking for, you won't need to through bore it. Additionally, they 7x12 doesn't have a through spindle hole large enough to accept the 1.5".

Assuming you pick out one of the above, the 7x12 is enough to face off and chamfer the ends. You could also do some groving/detail work.

Most of the sabers that I have seen, have more parts that slip over the tube. In the way of grips/buttons etc.

Deviant thanks for the reply I am new to the machining stuff and appreciate the info

witch lathe do you have

if it says 12in. between center why can't you the dead center on a piece 12in. long

will the dead center work in a piece if it has a hole in the end like 3/4in.

and whit is the difference in the types of aluminum ( 6061-T6 and 2024-T3 )

6061 and 2024 are different alloys.

With different properties in strengh, welding, machining etc

Most people use 6061 for hobby stuff.

I can look around and see if I have a 12" peice of something to chuck up.

However, lathe advertisements tend not to take into account the tool post, the tail stock etc.

They tend to view the lathe in the best possible light that they can legally get away with.

I.e. if you chuck something up, remove the tail stock and anything else is in the way. Then you "might" be able to feed the bit the full 12".

However.
    The true usuable space is smaller than what is advertised, once you put all the tooling in the way.

That's been my experience.

I have a Cummings 7x12.

fyi

here is a picture.

The cross slide is all the way to the end of it's travel. The threading indicator is resting against the leadscrew support.

You could possbly, gain more travel by rotating the compound and retracting it away from the headstock.

However, you will note that the tailstock is at the end of it's possibly mounting point.

Again.

It's entirely possible to turn a 12" piece. But personally, if I did it. I'd do it on a larger lathe, or with a 4jaw chuck that I could flip the part over and accurately line it up.

The stock 3-jaw isn't good for flipping a part over to machine the other side. At least that's been my experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7x12.jpg  

Deviant thinks for your help

the cummins 7x12 is the lathe that I was looking at but am steal trying to decide whit lathe size to get.
    I like the price of the 7x but it would be easer on a bigger machine

I was thinking about making the saber in 2 or more pieces to make it easer to turn but mite have problems putting the 2 back to gather

You can turn a 12" part between centers but your application would be taxing the at best on a 7x12.
    I have turned a 6.5" x 1.25" part on mine - you would laugh at the contortions you need to go through to do it.
    Look at something with a longer bed if you want to make it in one peice.

If you turn it in multiple peices, careful fitting and loctite are your freinds. If you are only making one, then you can hand fit. If you are making a bunch, make one and use the parts as references for the rest.

Aaron