586,036 active members*
3,565 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal 4020Fx ATC tool numbers problem

Fadal 4020Fx ATC tool numbers problem

Hey, I'm having a problem with the ATC turret in a Fadal 4020fx machining center with a Fanuc 0iMC controller.

I Don't know how it happened because I wasn't the one operating the machine at the time, but I'm the one that has to fix it

Somehow the tool numbers in the ATC turret changed. Like, Tool 1 is now tool 2, Tool 12 is now tool 13, etc., and the current situation is the following: there is no tool in the spindle (tool 1) there is a tool in the turret (tool 1), so, whenever a tool change command is executed, the machine first tries to release Tool 1 (empty spindle) in its assigned pocket, resulting in a crash because there is already a tool in that slot.

I used M11 to reassing N1 slot , but this only works whe the loaded tool and the turret slot number match, so it is useless in this situation.

What can I do? I'm going crazy here

OK....I will try and help. First, every Fadal i have ever seen that has a Fanuc control has a "dual arm" tool changer, not an "umbrella" ATC. This is important, because an umbrella type changer is static (tool number goes into same tool pocket every time) If the machine has a tool change arm, the tool changer is dynamic (the tool pot and tool number are not the same the control remembers where the tools are). I would remove all tools, clear the tool registry page, and re-install the tools thru the spindle (Manually put the tool in the spindle, then command the control to put the tool away) If you are careful you can transpose the tool offset data from one pot to another and not even have to "touch" the tools, however I dont recommend this

Re: Fadal 4020Fx ATC tool numbers problem

I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't be able to do that, since I can't load any tools from the turret to the spindle, because the Machine first tries to release the tool on a slot where there is already a tool stored, resulting in a crash. You see, to the machine, Tool 1 is on the spindle, but it is actually empty, and Pot 1 of turret is storing Tool 1

I was thinking of manually removing the tool from the turret slot but I'm afraid of damagin the turret

This is waht the machine looks like. I think it is an umbrella ATC
    http://www.mwmachinery.com/photos/4483_2.jpg

Yeah, no problem, just pop out the tool. It wont hurt a thing.

Thanks for the input! :wee: I solved the problem by moving the turret mechanisms ( with the machine powered off) as it would when it changes tools, thus releasing the tool from the turret.

At the "ENTER NEXT COMMAND" prompt, type in "TC,1" and hit enter. This will open the tool changer. Make sure you type in the comma (but not the quotes).

Once the changer is open, you can jog the turret clockwise and counter-clockwise to get the tool you want to be #1 under the Z-head.

Hit Manual and the Z-head will come back down, picking up the tool. At the "ENTER NEXT COMMAND" prompt, type in "SETTO" then hit Enter. This SETS TOOL ONE to the currently loaded tool.

I would recommend going here and reading some documents: Technical Docs | Manuals & Diagrams | FadalCNC.com